fixing taps on baths and ceramic sinks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please could you give me some tips on how to fix the taps so they hold tight on sinks etc,i have tried all things,using extra rubber washers top and bottom but they always seem to work loose with the heavy handed kids in the house.cheers

Sponsored Links
tophats

66621.jpg

top hat washers usually come with taps when you buy them as a kit. 1/2" or 3/4" standard sizes. Otherwise you can buy them from any plumbing shop/DIY store in a pack.

You can use tophats available from most plumbing merchants. But myself being a plumber i prefer brass locking nuts with the correct washers for the taps rather than plastic which dont seem to hold as well and for as long. Also available in 1/2 inch and 3/4 from merchants or even b&q.

Sponsored Links
Tophats are good. Best tool you can use will be a box spanner to tighenthe nuts fully.

Most 35year timeserved plumbers will concur.

Con flippin cur :rolleyes: a top hat washer is for a sink tap in old days where there was a stub hanging down so the top hat went over it and allowed the nut ( brass) to tighten - Iknow you know that dex :LOL: :LOL: Time served - started in 1972 ;) Never got Corgi :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back