Odd Size Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just bought a Victorian maisonette flat, and I want to replace the internal front door. But the door is an odd size, it's 400mm deep, 1960 mm high and 655mm wide.

Could I buy a metric sized door (which all seem to be 2000mm-plus high, and too wide) and cut it to fit? And if I do that, would that mean that I couldn't install a chubb and yale lock?

Or should I just accept that I'm going to have to pay out to get a joiner to do the job for me?

Cheers,
T

Sponsored Links
Howdens sell doors and have a selection in the size of 1981x686 w[hich equates to 6'6"x2'3" in old money. Sample here. This is a hardwood internal door. It will still need a bit of trimming but not that much.

http://www.howdens.com/joinery/internal-doors/hardwood-doors/4-panel-oak/

Howdens only sell to the trade but it might be worth your while ringing your local branch to see if there is a deal to be done.

If Howdens keep them then other retailers will also.

Cheers for that. Do you know if the door is 40mm deep? Can't quite tell on the Howdens site.

you can cut an M&T door, which is the strongest sort. Not a flush door. Your door appears to be 26" wide which is unusually narow for a front door but available from joinery firms (but probably not from DIY sheds)

If you can't find one locally, you can cut down a 28" door, but it must have good wide stiles. Measure the stiles of any door you are thinking of buying to see how wide they will be after trimming.

As it is the front door to your flat you want it to be stronger than an ordinary internal door.

You might also consider a fire-resisting door which is quite solid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back