fitting new fireplace and gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just fitted a white micro marble mantlepiece and hearth to an existing bricked chimney breast, and the corgi man is booked in for tomorrow to fit the gas fire.
The whole lot is a kit from B&Q, with the back panel already attached to the mantle piece.

My question is....my corgi man mentioned on the phone "have i sealed the mantle piece to the wall"? I said that its just screwed to the wall while sitting on the hearth and then the new gas fire fits into the hole in the back panel.
He said again that it needs to be sealed to the wall either using rock wool or a fireproof sealant.
Is this normal practice as it doesn't mention this in any DIY guide that i have been reading anywhere?!?!?!?!?

Surely the gas fire shouldn't release unburnt gas that could escape into the room......however if that is what i need to do then i need to do it before tomorrow afternoon.

Any comments please !

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i asked the corgi man for his advice when he came round, and he actually gave me some rock wool to fill the gaps and then just got me to plaster the remaining gaps from the inside.....so its now all done....hoorah :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back