Silent pull cord light switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

My own bathroom light switch is loud enough - but at least it's me who uses it! When my downstairs neighbour click-clicks their switch at night it keeps me awake, it's ridiculously loud. And when there's two or three of them using the bathroom in a row, it seems to be an endless festival of clicking - infuriating. I've tried insulating the floor but it didn't make a bit of difference.

So, I want to ask them if they would mind if I change the switch at my expense. Assuming they say Yes - I just have to find one! Who knows if and where I can buy a bathroom light switch with a silent pull cord? I've done a bit of digging around and haven't come up with anything yet.

Help me from going insane, please...

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure you will ever find a silent pull cord switch, but some make more noise than others. I had a nice quiet pullcord in our bathroom for years until it failed.
I replaced it with an MK version which is as noisy as hell, so avoid MK unless they’ve improved the design.
I understand dimmable pull cord switches are quieter but have never tried one.
Have a look at the link below.
http://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/Dimpull_-_bathroom_pull_cord_dimmer.htm

But then the OP will have to keep buying batteries for ever and ever.
No, the best option is to move your neighbour's bathroom into the garden.
If your neighbours object, tell them to stop their middle-class whinging, and explain that's how things were done in the old days - dunny in an outhouse at the bottom of the garden.
Sorted.

Sponsored Links
I've bought several pull cord switches as I also cannot stand the noise. The Crabtree ones seem to be the best.

Thanks aptsys and securespark. I will check out both those recommendations.

Just to be sure I'm getting the right thing, am I looking for a 6A ceiling switch, and should it be 1 way or 2 way?

Cheers.

Has it always been like this, or have they recently done something to change it?

The dimmable ones are completely silent when you pull the cord, but buzz like hell when they are on, even on full brightness....

Or install a ceiling mounted PIR.
They do tend to switch off if you're on the potty for too long though!

Surely there's a market for these things? I've often wondered where to get one. Working shifts, going to the toilet in the middle of the night, I'm always in trouble for making too much noise.
Silent cisterns and taps would sell like hotcakes as well!

EDIT: sorry, just noticed the age of this thread! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back