Erecting a fence - options?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I'm a novice(!) and looking to put up a fence, to cover a hideous chain link fence, supplied by our neighbours! They have a lot of trees on their side of the fence which means there are a lot of thick roots, running under the ground, some close to the surface where I'm looking to put the fence up.

I note a lot of people dont like metposts, and prefer digging and cementing posts, but what would be the best options here, bearing in mind that in a lot of places Im not going to be able to dig down 2feet because of the tree roots. Are the MET posts likely to drive thorugh the roots?

Any ideas/options would be appreciated!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
metposts are fine, so long as you want your posts leaning over at random angles :rolleyes: and blowing over.

you will have to dig some holes. use a pruning saw to cut through the roots in your way. if you do it when your neighbour is not looking he will be less likely to whinge about you damaging his trees; though if they are inside you garden you are entitled to cut them. If you have an awkward neighbour, dig the holes your side of the boundary, but you will get a better result if you round them off just before you pour the concrete, when he isn't looking. If the concrete doesn't show above ground he will probably not see anything to complain about.

concrete posts and gravel boards last longer and do not rot. If you like you can paint them to blend in the the timber. Some people don't like concrete. This picture shows "dark chocolate" masonry paint.
View media item 975

Thanks for that John. How quickly (or is it a piece of string?!) will the wooden posts take to rot if they are cemented in?

if they are in contact with wet soil they will start rotting the day after you put them in, and will break off in a strong wind after a number of years. they will quite likely last 5 years, maybe more. But you will be so annoyed at the damage and the amount of effort it takes to get out the stump and put a new one in that you will vow never to do it that way again.

If you are particularly fond of wooden posts you can use a concete spur in the ground and bolt your wooden post to it. There's one here but I bet you can't see it.

View media item 978
If you make a living out of erecting new fences you will feel differently.

Sponsored Links
Chatting to a 67 year old Fencer the other day. (Build em tough down this way!),

He's been fencing since he left school and tells me that when he puts up fences for his family he always burns the ends of posts in a brazier first. He reckons it stops moisture getting in. It's labour intensive though hence he only does it for his family.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back