solvent based versus water based

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some time I've been using quick-drying water based primer/undercoat in combination with a solvent-based topcoat. It looks OK, but I've been told that this is not likely to give a long-lasting paint job. Is that true? Should you stick to one system - either everything solvent-based (with the long drying times between coats) or everything water-based (with no nice gloss finish available)?
Comments appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
I don't think it makes any difference.
Some of the "dinosaurs" may disagree though. :LOL:

You say you've already been doing this for some time so..you tell us...what's it like and what would it have been like if you'd have used solvent undercoat?

I've just done an outside with acrylic undercoat and Weathershield gloss.

I've been using the acrylic primer/undercoat for years now and have never had any probs with an oilbase on top - a lot of my work is repeat business so I've had the chance to check up on previous work thats a few years old.

My only reservation is in the finish, using the acrylic as an undercoat can leave slight brushmarks which, particularly using a high gloss finish in a light room can give you a less than ideal finish - in these situations I go for an oilbase U/C.

I don't think it makes any difference.
Some of the "dinosaurs" may disagree though. :LOL:

You say you've already been doing this for some time so..you tell us...what's it like and what would it have been like if you'd have used solvent undercoat?

I've just done an outside with acrylic undercoat and Weathershield gloss.

I would have used solo or once myself... :evil:

I dont think theres any harm in using acrylic undercoat and then oil based gloss..but as Ardvark mentioned, it can show up the brush marks underneath..

Then other thing I dont like about using it, the gloss 'pulls' a bit when your applying it..

If you want a really high gloss finish use oil based eggshell or satin instead of undercoat...because the smoother the base coat the more will be reflected from it..thus giving the impression of a brighter sheen.

Point of interest to Growler...Leyland have just brought out a new one coat gloss...its called 'twice' :eek:

Sponsored Links
I thought it was an exterior question, because I agree it pulls a bit and sinks in a touch.

Point of interest to Growler...Leyland have just brought out a new one coat gloss...its called 'twice' :eek:

One day....one day, if it's the last thing I ever do.
Futuristic, Self undercoating "Solo" wins, in the right hands. ;)

Still think that acrylic undercoat outside will not last due to the expansion and contraction of the timber. this will then flake off. cant rub it down too hard either. My neighbours have had there outside done by someone else and its lasted 7 months, now its coming off. That was acrylic ! :eek:

Did a front door (colonial style) from red to white for a friend about 4 years ago now. Went into Dulux centre and asked for 1ltr water based u/c and 1 ltr weathershield and he said .. Ooooooooooooooo you don't wanna do that as it's not flexible u/c blah, blah, blah...can't guarantee that, as it's not meant for outsides blah, blah, blah. you should be using the correct undercoat blah, blah ....

Took it off, positioned it in the sun and gave it 2 coats Dulux Quick drying primer/undercoat and 1 coat weathershield then screwed it back up at about 5 p.m.

It's still perfect today.
[/i]

Lots of exterior paint is waterbased these days..regards worries about non flexibilty masonry paint is a very similar formmulation as acrylic primer undercoat..and it seems to hold fine.

In fact I often use thinned whites masonry as a primer on new wood, its full of acrylic which gives the bond that worked for growler on his front door job..and, in the words of Michael Caine...'do you know'...if you add a tiny amount of white spirit to acrylic primer undercoat it gives it more flexibilty apparently.

My worry with the stuff is adhesion to previously painted work...compare to matt over silk?..ok theres a difference in the formulations but arcylic over oil based gloss sends a shiver up my spine sometimes...especially some of the high sheen glosses.

I always give it a double good rub down for a key.

Other than that I like water based paints...except when a really good finish is required...water based gloss just dont hit the mark unless its sprayed HVLP stylie..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back