Ignition Lockout on Wickes LW50ci

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has a three and a half year old gas boiler (Halstead Best db 50 a.k.a. Wickes LW50ci). He has spent a lot of money on engineer call-outs but has yet to overcome a problem he has with the boiler. Even if no-one can give a solution, better understanding of possible faults would be appreciated.

The boiler works fine for the Hot Water (HW).

If he turns the Central Heating (CH) on (with or without HW), the boiler works for about 5 to 10 minutes then just as the top of the radiators start to go warm/hot, an Ignition Lockout Indicator comes on and the boiler switches off. If we reset the boiler according to the Halstead manual, using the Ignition Reset Button, the boiler will work for about 20 seconds before the Ignition Lockout Indicator comes on and the boiler switches off again (and so on).

I understand that a Flow Temperature Thermister has been replaced and we have replaced the Ignition Device with a second hand one, but we get the same results.

I spoke to a rep. at Halstead and they were puzzled over why the boiler works in HW mode but not CH. They suggested it might not be a boiler fault.

The only other thing I can offer is the fact that my dad does all his own DIY installations. Some time in the recent past he replaced one big radiator with two smaller ones.

If no-one could offer a solution, could someone please explain what the Ignition Lockout Indicator is alerting to? Nights are starting to get cold :(

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You DO mean the ignition lockout - red light over a small button? ? Sorry to ask but if it was locking out on overheat (not ignition) it would be a standard pattern of lockout where there's an air-lockin the hot water circuit.
In other words, the ignition circuit doesn't know what the boiler is heating!

ChrisR said:
You DO mean the ignition lockout - red light over a small button? ? Sorry to ask but if it was locking out on overheat (not ignition) it would be a standard pattern of lockout where there's an air-lockin the hot water circuit.
In other words, the ignition circuit doesn't know what the boiler is heating!

Thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that it is the Ignition Lockout Indicator below a Lockout reset button on the Ignition device (not the overheat lockout on the aquastat).

Cheers

Have you "watched" it lockout after the 20 minutes? It would normally only do it while trying to light - no gas, or failure to detect the flame on lighting. The wire from the flame detection probe, where it connects to the ignition module, has some sort of problem if I remember it correctly - not enough room or somesuch. I wonder if the probe moves a bit when the boiler gets particularly hot.. The probe is the rear one in the combustion chamber.

Sponsored Links
I will check the probe, however, the boiler only fails when being use for CH, not HW.

Cheers

Just to confirm, the boiler works from cold for 10 minutes or so then the ignitin cutout light come on. If we try to reset it, it fails again within a minute.

We have watched it do this, we notice that the rads just start to get warm when it first cuts out.

We don't have a problem when only using it for hot water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back