power circuit outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've read lots of post already, but I have a specific scenario I'd like a bit of help with:

I would like to run mains into my shed at the bottom of the garden. I intend to run a lead out that is plugged into a socket in the house with a RCD plug on the end of the cable, so the circuit is always protected. In the shed I'll put a couple of sockets in, and I might wire a couple of waterproof sockets outside next to the pond to power a pump (despite my best efforts with solar power, it's just not good enough!).

I'm running the cable down the side of the house, and then along a very sturdy fence down to the shed. It's not going to be buried. So here's my question: Can I use normal PVC cable outside, given it will be protected with an RCD? If this is not good, how about arctic cable? I'd like to avoid the armoured stuff as it's expensive, harder to work with, and as I'm not burying it, there's no danger of anyone putting a spade though it.
Advice much appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Can I use normal PVC cable outside, given it will be protected with an RCD?

NO

If this is not good, how about arctic cable?

NO

I'd like to avoid the armoured stuff as it's expensive, harder to work with,

Oh dear

and as I'm not burying it, there's no danger of anyone putting a spade though it.

A spade is not the only thing which damages cables.

Hi All,
I've read lots of post already, but I have a specific scenario I'd like a bit of help with:

I would like to run mains into my shed at the bottom of the garden. I intend to run a lead out that is plugged into a socket in the house with a RCD plug on the end of the cable, so the circuit is always protected. In the shed I'll put a couple of sockets in, and I might wire a couple of waterproof sockets outside next to the pond to power a pump (despite my best efforts with solar power, it's just not good enough!).

I'm running the cable down the side of the house, and then along a very sturdy fence down to the shed. It's not going to be buried. So here's my question: Can I use normal PVC cable outside, given it will be protected with an RCD? If this is not good, how about arctic cable? I'd like to avoid the armoured stuff as it's expensive, harder to work with, and as I'm not burying it, there's no danger of anyone putting a spade though it.
Advice much appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

matt this job is notifiable under part p of the building regs and should only be done by a competant and registered electrician.

Thanks for the quick replies. Could you perhaps explain a little? The arctic stuff says it is suitable for external use so I'm wondering why it would be a bad idea?
If I must use armoured cable I will, but I'd like to understand what is wrong with PVC or the artic rated cable. My dad has had a light and a couple of sockets wired in his greenhouse with PVC cabling along an outside wall for years.
Again - advice appreciated.
Matt

Sponsored Links
Artic is ok for outside, but for extension leads ,etc rather than permanent supplies

I'm interesed in the part P regs bit - I don't want to contravene the regulations!
I noticed that my local garden centre sell outdoor sockets that are exactly as I just described - an RCD plug, armoured cable, and twin waterproof sockets on the end.
I was under the impression (possibly wrongly) that this constituted an "applicance" and was therefore not subject to the part P. If I was to buy the kit from the garden centre, and plug it in, does that come under part P?
I'd really appreciate guidance about this. I read elsewhere on this forum that fitting a waterproof extension lead like this (i.e. not wiring it directly into the house circuit or as a new ring/spur), but effectively plugging it in, should be OK. This would make sense as it would be odd for the garden centre to supply something that would then need certification...
thoughts??
Thanks,
Matt

..............as it would be odd for the garden centre to supply something that would then need certification...
thoughts??
Thanks,
Matt

B & Q sell gas boilers, doesnt mean you can connect it to the gas supply.

the kits in a garden centre are you sure its not an armadilo kit? they have swa cable.

You are not meant to clip / fix a cable to a fence, its considered to be not permanent.

as for what your dad has, i would guess its been there say 10+ years, then people did what they liked, (no part p) but just because he has it does not mean its safe.

The bloke with a chainsaw thought he was "doing it ok" untill he chopped his wifes head off (I only wish that was a joke, it isnt, and he did)

I heard the one about the chainsaw - unbelievable. In fact I stayed in a B&B a couple of years ago and the fella running it had a chainsaw accident the day before we turned up. Luckily by the time he caught it (yup), it was going slow enough to just sever a couple of ligaments and not completely remove his thumb...
You're right - the cable in my dads garden has been there years.

Just been doing a bit more research - the armadillo stuff does use armoured cabling, but is for permanent install and doesn't require reg P cert - well at least according to their website. I'll see if I can find out a bit more. I think it has something to do with it being plugged into a socket rather than wired into the mains. When we had garage doors fitted a couple of years ago, they needed to plug them in rather than wire to the mains - also something to do with it being classed as an appliance that way.

Need to read more - or maybe I'll stick with the somewhat underpowered solar system on the shed roof...
thanks,
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back