Smell from washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive just moved into a victorian terrace and when we use the washer we get a foul sewerage/stale smell, it only seems to be noticable when the washer is on! Any ideas on a quick fix would be welcome, the missus is giving me grief!

Sponsored Links
try an empty wash with the highest temperature!
manufacturers recommend you do this every few months anyhow.
I must admit your smell sounds a bit more serious than usual :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I supply and install appliances and as a result have to deal with the problems that people face.

There are many things that can make the washer smell like this. Easy remedy to discover if its a water sitting somewhere is to run a hot wash whilst the appliance is empty - this will clean the drum and also (hopefully) remove any blockages in the pump etc.

There are some other things that could be causing the smell...

Check the washer drum rubber - you may have mould building up under the expanding flap - this is very common but normally gives off a 'muddy' smell.

Check for leaks - you may be leaking water into the inside of the machine. This can cause a nasty wiff..! Please note, if you are not competent, I wouldn't suggest that you remove any of the panels in case you effect the circuitry or mechanics of the appliance - you could break it, cause a fault, injure yourself or worse. Take care.

Jamie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back