removing dried excess grout from ceramic floor tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself and a few friends were helping some other friends grout ceramic floor tile in their new home. This was my first time doing it and the ones who were applying the grout got a bit carried away and did it faster than those of us who were cleaning the wet grout off the tile could keep up. To make a long story short, the grout started drying faster than we could clean and now there is a lot of excess grout, both thin streaks and lumps of it that have dried on much of the tile. I believe it was a polymer based grout and we had to mix it ourselves. Now that it's dried, how can we remove the excess grout from the tiles?

Sponsored Links
To remove the dried grout use a soft wire wall, ensure it wont scratch the tiles on a spare tile and go round rubbing the dried excess. For the future the best way to apply grout to tile is to make the grout slightly more sloppy and apply it with a sponge, you can then sponge off the excess as you apply it.

I would try a wire wool instaed of wire wall personally!!!
By the way, it is a long job, but it does work

Hi, I have a similar problem to the above. I am making a mosaic top dining table and the tiles are very rough to the touch with little pits in them. If I clean too much with a squeegee I end up lifting the grout from the gaps yet I cannot get all the grout from the surface of the tiles. Is there a special type of grout recommended for this sort of job? So far I've only grouted a small area but I really don't feel like continuing right now, this is turning out to be a very expensive project and I need to get it right.

Sponsored Links
I have removed excess grout on embossed tiles with a stiff brush. It is effective - but does take time.

Try this new product manufactured by Tile Lab called Sulfumic Acid Cleaner available at Home Depot. This stuff works fantastic!!!!!

I am having the same problem. I bought a very textured, unglazed tile and applied the grout without first treating the tile with a sealer or grout release formula. Big mistake. I am in day 7 of hiring a guy to scrub for 4 hours. We use a wire brush and 5-in-one tool works good for taking off the high spots. The sulfumic acid does a great job of loosening the dried grout. Didn't learn about it until day 5, but it has made the job easier.

does using the acid and steel wool take away the sealed coating thats comes on new sealed tile from the store.should it be sealed after your done.In some cases where the cement under the tile is a little high in your grout joints and there is very little grout covering those spots ,i find that acid takes away the grout in these spots,i have a very light grout and the dark cement underneath is now showing through.Is there any way of touching up those spots.Any help would be much appreciated.

Did the same thing myself about 18 months ago, Sulphumic Acid is definately the way ahead. Its quite nasty stuff though so wear gloves, goggles and vent the room. Says to keep it well away from skirting boards but in my case I had no option because they were covered too. Probably would have been easier to replace the boards in hindsight. It all worked out in the end - dont worry. :rolleyes:

MOD

please see item 17 :LOL:

then check the date this thread is over two years old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back