which tank to drain c/h system ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, on which tank would i need to "tie up" ball valve to enable me to drain down c/h system...in my loft i have 2 tanks..one is the big main water tank..but just behind that one is a much smaller tank ( i belive it could be called the header tank..having read in the wiki and i quote.......
"Vented System

As above but firstly you should tie up the ball valve to a plank of wood placed across the cistern to cut off the water supply. To refill, simply untie the ball valve. Don't forget to add inhibitor and bleed rads. "

would my system be a VENTED SYSTEM?(i have no idea )..if so...do i tie up the ball cock in the biggest tank to cut off the water c/h system rads to enable me to drain down my system, many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
aha! thank you very much...now i know which tank..finally, if i ever get a leak in a radiator or c/h pipes will i just be able to tie up the ballcock in the little tank..then drain c/h system..then fix leak ? or will i have to turn off water at the mains first ? thankfully i have no leaks but i just want to be prepared...just in case :) many thanks once again

Sponsored Links
Hi
I'm not a plumber or one of the wonderful heating engineers but draining and refilling a heating system can be full of woes and troubles if you are not careful.
The small tank in your loft (providing you have a vented heating system) is known as the feed and expansion ( F&E) tank and is the only tank you need to tie the ballcock up to work on the heating system.
Many heating systems have a isolating valve on feed pipe from this tank and closing this valve allows you to drain the system without draining the F&E tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back