Disconnecting a Gas cooker for access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Year ago upon moving into my flat a bought a gas cooker and had it fitted by a CORGI registered engineer and got the certificate along with it. He fitted it with the safety chain etc etc to meet the regs. All as should be done.

My question is this...
I know need to disconnect it and temporarily move it due to getting a new washing machine. The washer is next to it and i have to move the cooker out the way to get the washing machine out of the kitchen. (the kitchen is tiny!)
Do I have to have a CORGI plumber come and disconnect it and then reconnect it again? Its a simple bayonet fixing, and a case of un-clipping the safety chain, nothing beyond my means. I just want to know what the regs/laws are on this. I am not sure if this is classed as work or not. Ill not be preforming any work on the pipe work etc, it is simple a case of having to move the cooker out of the way for access and also i plan to clean round the back.

Apologies if you get this a lot or if I have duplicated a post.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
If you were to disconnect, how would you confirm soundness of the pipe work after you reconnected it?

Get your man back to do it.

A bayonet fitting is meant to be used and does not constitute work under GSIUR regs.

Do it yourself!

Breesey,

I don't understand what you mean about confirming the soundness off the pipework. Does disconnecting the flexible pipe with the bayonnet fitting degrade the pipework?

Sponsored Links
Soundness = leak free

Refer to Terrywookfit's post.

Just make sure the fitting is clean when you reconnect.

Its intended as a user activity to disconnect and reconnect a cooker for cleaning etc. using the bayonett.

However, in an ideal world the gas soundness would be tested after removing it.

New cookers are supplier without a hose fitted and its intended that on first fitting a CORGI is used.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back