Potterton Boiler cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Any advice for a potterton boiler that cuts out after about ten minutes, waits for a couple of minutes then re-fires and the cycle goes on and on. Rads and water warming nicely but cooling off between firings This system has been stood still for the best part of a year.

Beyond that, a shower with hot and cold feeds remains cold regardless of water temperature in the tank when the immersion heater is being used ( as an alternative to the intermittent boiler)

any insight would be graciously received

cheers

Sponsored Links
Potterton made a lot of different boilers! As Ford made a lot of different cars!

Boiler thermostat? Faulty pump?

In all fault finding each component has to be checked to ensure its operating correctly!

Tony

Hi

Cheers for the reply!, perhaps i should explain!

I know Potterton made lots of boilers! but i am doing this via telephone conversations with her indoors who is 200 miles away in the house that has the problem and she said she can see nothing to indicate what boiler it is other than a Potterton. Chances are it's written big and bold someplace but well......... :rolleyes:

anyway, after going through the issues again with her, it seems that although the rads are hot , there is no hot water to either the shower or taps.

Is this an indication that any one particular component of the system is faulty? What would be your educated guess? I got a feeling the pump may be playing up but then i'm just a chippy so what would i know?

once again any useful input would be appreciated.

" in all fault finding each component should be checked individually!"

cheers, i'll give her a ring and tell her :rolleyes:

You must let us know if it is a combi or conventional boiler.

Long shot guess, diaphram on diverter if combi.
Three way valve stuck on central heating side on conventional system.

Look up on FAQ, may help you better.

Sponsored Links
tias, as OP has immersion and tank I would think its a heat only boiler,
motorised valve seems a likely suspect

Cheers guys

i'll have a look in the directions suggested and yes, as the immersion and tank indicates, it is a heat only boiler, sorry, perhaps i could have been more specific.

thanks for taking the time to reply

any insight would be graciously received

once again any useful input would be appreciated.

" Boiler thermostat? Faulty pump?
in all fault finding each component should be checked individually!"

cheers, i'll give her a ring and tell her :rolleyes:

Very gracious, :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sure if agile had known you were fixing it over the phone, via your wife two hundred miles away, he would have come up with something more appropriate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back