[b]Fire door self closer question[/b]

vt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm in a perculiar position of having to fit self closers to my 'protected route' even though I understand they are not now required under the post April 07 rules...

My application for a loft extention was submitted a week prior to that in March 07-presumably so the builder could create an escape window in the loft and not have to do a protected route?? However an escape window proved impossible so we had to go 'protected route' anyway which I have tackled myself.
The BCO has checked the work and all is fine except he has asked for closers as he is working on pre April 07 rules-which is fine (although seems illogical)

I've looked at the perko type ones as they seem to be the most cost effective way of doing it-has anyone any advice on the following;

1. Are there any criteria on the height at which they should be fitted?
2. Do the fire doors have a solid block on the hinge side that it would be best to hit? The perko closer looks to be about 6" long...
3. Does the closer have to make the door 'latch' for it to pass?
4. Are they straightforward to fit like a mortice or are they fiddly?

Thanks all-first post apols if have rambled on a bit!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
most important tip:

don't lose the split wedge that holds the chain and stops it being pulled into the tube.

if you forget, it is possible to lever the plate away with a claw hammer, after you have put the tube into the door. you can also poke a carpet tack into the chain to hold it out.

good advice from JohnD. ;)

there is generally no lock block on a standard 1/2 hour fire door to the hinge side, though the door is solid core. there will be enough 'meat' on the side rail anyhow.

i fit mine just below the middle hinge.

making the door latch is near impossible particularly if you have intumescent strips fitted as well.

the depth of the tube means a standard wood bit is too short. you can either buy an extender or use the hex shafted wood bits as these will slot into a standard screwdriver bit holder.

it is possible t get the door to latch properly when you fit a perco,you just have to make sure youve shot it in correctly and you have a decent leading edge on the door,personally id fit over head closers that way when you decide to remove them you only have a few holes to fill,
i say remove because ive seen a lot of peeps take them all off once they have all the paper work in hand and everything has been passed :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to you all

I'll take note of the advice.

Screwfix do them-take it they are ok?

I know what you mean about removing them afterwards ... I expect them to be a total pain in reality but was thinking of asking permission of insurance company to remove them afterwards-given they are no longer regulation- any one any experience if they would agree?

On the safety side of things we do close all doors at night and have 3 interlinked mains smoke detectors fitted on each landing..

Thanks again for your responses

On the safety side of things we do close all doors at night and have 3 interlinked mains smoke detectors fitted on each landing..

that is what my wife and i do too.

can humans be trusted to close doors? :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL:

not all

i don't mind the closers, you can always prop door if for some reason you want it open

I thought that Rising Butt Hinges were allowed in a dwelling as an alternative to other door closers.

Much cheeper too.

Salem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back