DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

upvc door lock - digital replacement

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
edunt

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Hi there.

Have a upvc door with ordinary cylinder type lock - works fine but I would like to replace it with a digital lock (preferably mechanical) so I'm not locked out if I forget my key.

Is there one that will simply replace the cylinder on the door, keeping all the existing locking mechanism, and is weather hardy? If so, where can I get one please?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
yandownie

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote

borg used to make one
http://borglocks.com/Default.aspx
i dont know if its still available as they did have teething problems with it,might be worth ringing them
 Alert Moderators
breezer

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote

i guess i shopuld say other suppliers of digital locks are available, i have seen loads of that style of lock in shops (for use, not for sale) but i doubt they will be any use for a modern upvc door.

my door for example you have tu turn the handle up first to engage the internal slide bolts, the ones i have seen look more like a "yale lock" in that there is only a bolt that comes out, still its worth asking them.

other idea is to have a neigbour hold a key, or buy one of them fake rocks and put a key in that or even get a key safe, there are external versions that will hold just one key. First time i saw one i had to ask why there is a box on the wall with numbers, thats when they told me its so the security guard does not need to carry keys, he enters the code then takes the key to open the door
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: