Boiler pilot light wont stay on ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got an 80's vintage "Ideal Mexico RS55" gas boiler.
I came came down the other morning to find my heating hadn't come on. I checked out the boiler to find the pilot light wasn't lit. I went through the lighting procedure but when I release the gas control knob after 20-30 seconds the pilot light just goes out. Tried numerous times with no luck. Funny thing is Im getting a new combi boiler in the next month or 2 so Im not really willing to spend any money on the old timer !

Any ideas on what it could be ?

Thanks

Mac

Sponsored Links
Most probably requires a new thermocouple.

Needs an RGi to replace but the cost of part is cheap

Check the obvious, so, fuse, is boiler getting electric.

Heating controls if you have a 'Y' plan ie cylinder for hot water try switching controls over ie heating to hot water or vice versa, check if the port valve (most likely 3 port is 'moving'.....small metal handle will move the port 'open/shut' ie you should see movement......put your hand on the pump.....is it vibrating ie 'on'.....

If all is ok then it could be something simple like the thermocouple (a device to let the gas valve 'know' when the pilot is lit so it can safely open and let gas in to ignite boiler). Testing this is not something easily done by a layman. Check the overheat stat button hasn't poped out (little red button) if it has push it in and retry.......note if this sorts it you need to ascertain why overheat stat triggered in first place. Finally, check gas valve and circuit board.....neither i woulkd recomend doing if your not gas qualified...........i suggest getting a corgi registered fitter to check it tho Mac....just for safety. If it's a cheap part....ie thermocouple change it ....if not, live with it and use your immersion heater for hot water till you change your boiler.....
Dave

Sponsored Links
Check the obvious, so, fuse, is boiler getting electric.

Heating controls if you have a 'Y' plan ie cylinder for hot water try switching controls over ie heating to hot water or vice versa, check if the port valve (most likely 3 port is 'moving'.....small metal handle will move the port 'open/shut' ie you should see movement......put your hand on the pump.....is it vibrating ie 'on'.....

Dave

Not really going to stop the pilot staying lit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back