Boiler wont ignite but Pilot is fine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Prima B boiler which will not ignite. The pilot light is on and i have voltage output from the boiler stat to the plug within the unit, so it should be on. Any ideas what this could be? I've never worked on gas appliances before.

Sponsored Links
I have a Potterton Prima B boiler which will not ignite. The pilot light is on and i have voltage output from the boiler stat to the plug within the unit, so it should be on. Any ideas what this could be? I've never worked on gas appliances before.
In which case find an RGi that has :D

What plug within which unit have are you describing?

Hi, thanks for replying. Would love to get someone to look at it for me but im broke and my Mrs is going mental about no hot water... ha ha

Ive got 240 from the mains swith live to the boiler thermostat and 240 from the boiler thermostat to the black lead with the plug on it which goes to the gas valve assembley.

Sponsored Links
I've lived here four years and never even thought about the immersion heater before.. ha.. Thanks for that. Ive dug through the mountains of linen in the cupboard and found the spur for the heater and put that on for now. (Just hope that works). Any ideas about the boiler though? Or should i definitely call a CORGI guy in the morning? Would be handy knowing what it may be as i dont want my Mrs to get ripped off etc as she knows less than me about boilers (If thats possible).

Could be a a number of things....all will require the sevices of a rgi.....sorry, thats the law.

Where the plug goes into the gas valve , does it sit into a black housing held in place with 2 screws. If so that is the operator and they usually go. Part costs abot 40 quid takes 2 mins to fit and does not need the gas to be interupted in anyway . Simple repair

Part costs abot 40 quid takes 2 mins to fit and does not need the gas to be interupted in anyway . Simple repair

I thought it was £44 plus vat?

But if it does not interrupt the gas supply then why does it have a cork gas seal ?

Tony

Suggest you look look at a SIT Nova valve Agile there is no cork gasket on the solenoid it simply slides down the shaft and 2 screws hold it in place.
Very basic . So can you tell me what boiler you are thinking of because its not a prima B

Thank you for that. I'll take a look tonight.

(sorry for late response, i dont have a computer so cant always get to one)

Part costs abot 40 quid takes 2 mins to fit and does not need the gas to be interupted in anyway . Simple repair

Fair enough comment but should it not be a RGI who decides that the appliance is afterwards, working safely and to manufacturers requirements.

Frenchpickler. Have you ever changed a solenoid on a SIT nova valve please tell me how this would affect the already set gas pressure and the soundness of the valve. If you have you would not have made your comment so if you have not got a clue mind your own till you know what your talking about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back