Netgear router-what type of connection does the aerial have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a Netgear DG834GT router and want to boost the signal so I wanted to buy a 9dbi aerial but they mention all different connections like RP-SMA, can anyone tell me what mine is on this modem so that I buy one with the right connection please?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is no "connection" as such.. I have one and the aerial is just a bit of wire stuck in the plastic "aerial" with a blob of glue..

3000_2688_1322_93115553_thumb.jpg

It will be an SMA connector on one of those. I bought an external aerial for a Linksys....same type. Made a little difference.

I have since bought a Linksys WRT54GL. These are great as they have two antenna's to begin with, but you can also replace the firmware on these with DDWRT and turn up the transmit power.

Sponsored Links
I have been looking what is available and I found that you can buy leads of 10m which will allow you to relocate the original aerial in another room.

What do you think of this idea?

Would it be ok to use 10m ( they seem to be only 10m lengths on offer) of cable or would this length cause any problems, it would be great if it worked as I would not have the problem of the more powerful aerial being more directional, ie I could use my existing one and I also I could easily get the aerial into a much better area so that I could pick the signal up better with my laptop.

Happy.. how do you intend connecting the extension lead? As I pointed out above there is NO removable connector at all... It's just a bit of wire leading from the inside of the box and up the little plastic "aerial"

I have the same router and the aerial just unscrews from the back :confused:

Happy.. how do you intend connecting the extension lead? As I pointed out above there is NO removable connector at all... It's just a bit of wire leading from the inside of the box and up the little plastic "aerial"

No disrespect intended but you are wrong Gees, it unscrews just like Spark123 says ( I have unscrewed it several times to check the connector etc) and I now know it is SMA as Karloz states. What I am not sure of yet is the best route for me to boost my signal. Someone has mentioned Hawking aerials as a good bet now, I don't know what to go for now.

A friend of mine has a 6 floor guest house and I fitted one of these routers on the second floor. there wasn't a useable signal on the top floor so I put a 9db gain antenna on it (I forget where I bought it, I just googled IIRC) and it is now ok all over the house.
It looks a bit unsightly having a foot long antenna stuck on the back, but it works.

What is your wireless setup at the moment, where is the router in relation to the wireless computers?

If you want to increase the signal because of distance between the computer and router, why not just put a phone line extension in and move the router nearer to where you work on your computers?

dave

What is your wireless setup at the moment, where is the router in relation to the wireless computers?

If you want to increase the signal because of distance between the computer and router, why not just put a phone line extension in and move the router nearer to where you work on your computers?

dave

Hi, we have an attic conversion and you know what its like, several steel beams and some foil backed plasterboard. I don't know if the attic construction is a problem but we get a very weak signal 2 floors down and lose it altogether quite often. The reason I want the router in the attic is because that is where I have a study/office and the main PC that is plugged in to the router.

I find this much better as the plugged in PC performs much better than the wireless laptop even when its a bit nearer and I need it to be fast on the net for what I do really.

Also I find it easy when I have a connection problem, to be able to actually see the lights on the router, whether it be a dropped connection or server problems. I think this would be much more awkward if I had to run down to check the lights etc especially when you get one of those really awkward connection days, where you have to keep trying.

I do a lot of work in the attic so I feel it is more important to have a good connection there, whereas when me or the family use the laptop downstairs it is mostly recreational as opposed to work.

Plus I feel it makes sense to have out the way in a office instead of in for example the lounge, preferably.

It is for these reasons I would rather boost my power of my router, given a choice.

Sponsored Links
Back