Potterton Puma 80 pilot light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am having a new bathroom fitted and the builders removed the radiator in there and since then the pilot light will not stay on?

It re - lights but goes out after a few minutes once the water of CH has been switched on? Also hot water pressure is really low.

Could it be air in the system from when they removed the rads?

If so how do I get it out?

andy

Sponsored Links
repressurize heating , bleed the radiators ,also losen the big srew on the pump till a little water comes out , repressurize the system ,(try that it will get the air out but might not solve it) let me know

And check that the automatic air vent on the boiler is actually open - black screw cap should be loose (top left, on top of casing).

If your water pressure is low then the flow rate will be low....and so....the boiler won't fire up. Remove the flow restrictor in the water flow pipe

Sponsored Links
Another patient and yes it's 22:50 on a Saturday night and eveyone but my good lady and I are out enjoying a bevvy or three -

So the story starts - I reluctantly replaced a rad in my bathroom.
I thought I'd be clever and bleed the rads from the closest to the boiler (Potterton) anyway, after filling a bucket or so I replaced the rad with a ladder type rad. It looks great although there's no water in it !!

I've closed all valves on all rads and opened the screw on the pump, I can see it churning away but no water in sight... When I turn on the central heating / water heater the pump starts and the boiler fires up...
A few minutes later the boiler switches off again.

I know I've drained the water that was in the boiler and there's an airblock of some sort but how can I get water into the system in this state?
I was confused :eek: until I read your posts :eek: and now I'm alittle wiser :cool: but I'm at a loss as how to get water into the system?

Please help before I'm nagged to death ...

stop playing diy.save yourselves long term grief and cost.get someone qualified to sort it. ;)

Cheers Gents

A: I'd love to stop messing with the system and call a real plumber but - and I mean this with the greatest of respect to all plumbers - I don't want to get ripped off for a simple task like a filling loop that first Plumber wouldn't find or know about - however baffle me with ideas that I need my pipe work ripped out and replaced????

Once bitten...

B: Looked for a filling loop although can't find anything of that description in the house, I'd take a wild stab that this is integral to the boiler?
Shut off all rads, all the ground floor rads are full and only have (cold) water and the upstairs rads are empty and stone cold !

Can I just fill one rad with water until it's full (hopefully the water will pass round the system and the air can be bled? If all the ground floor rads are fine and the boiler has no water - I need to find a filling loop of sorts.
It's 02:02, I can't keep my eyes open for much longer ...

Would be gratful if anyone be able to recommend the services of a plumber in the South West (Home Counties)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back