Combustion Chamber Forum

Has this had a positive or negative effect on the advice given on the Plumbing/Central heating forum

• Positive

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Negative

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • No change

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put a poll and a topic on electrics UK regarding the site having a similar type of forum to the "Combustion Chamber". Here and here. Has the Combustion Chamber had a positive or negative effect on the advice given on the Plumbing/Central Heating forum?

Sponsored Links
im not telling you cos your not CORGI registered.....lol

i cant be bothered signing up, would spend all my time correcting agile. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
We mainly spend our time slagging off Bahco :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

spank2.gif
;)

I believe its had a positive influence.

RGIs can share problems not suitable for joe public to read in regards to gas train etc.

There is also some agreement now as to what is and isnt safe advice to give a DIYer

The main advantage is that RGIs can ask each other questions on repairing boilers and those answering can give short technical replies using abbreviations including advice on gas matters which would be inappropriate on a public forum.

RGIs are also less likely to get ridiculed! And of course the postings dont get dissected by Softus!

Tony

But it also means that 'trainees' cannot access information that they may find interesting and helpful. Anyone can go and purchase the Viper Book and/or a copy of Essential Gas Safety etc etc. How is a discussion forum any different to Joe Public (JP) from say the Viper gas Book? He/she could purchase a copy and start fiddling about with anything he liked. It could be argued that at least they could post and/or read a question in a 'Gas' forum and be advised as to the correct course of action.

I don't see how RGIs asking each other questions and giving answers with 'short technical replies and using abbreviations' makes any difference to JP reading it. If JP doesn't understand the 'jargon' etc then they can simply move to a discussion they do understand or if they are indeed interested in understanding the technical nature of the discussion then they can pursue training within the field of their interest.

If the concern is that JP will go off with 'half an idea' of how to fix a boiler having read these 'technical replies', I don't buy into that. My belief is that if JP is going to fiddle with his boiler, he's going to do it whether he reads technical info here, in a book, in the pub, on the internet etc etc.

I just find it all a bit cloak and dagger to be honest. I'm not into hidden discussions.

I've been out of here for a while anyway due to ill health. I didn't even know there was/is a Combustion chamber Forum!!

But it also means that 'trainees' cannot access information that they may find interesting and helpful. Anyone can go and purchase the Viper Book and/or a copy of Essential Gas Safety etc etc.

Anyone who has paid for those books is likely to be a proper trainee on a relevant course and will have other better sources of information on gas matters.

Anyway there are some much more relevant and helpful forums for trainees like Gas-news and ARGI which would be far more suitable.

Tony

Anyone who has paid for those books is likely to be a proper trainee on a relevant course and will have other proper sources of information on gas matters.

Anyway there are some much more relevant and helpful forums for trainees like Gas-news and ARGI which would be far more suitable.

With respect Tony, and I really do mean with respect (your knowledge and experience within the Gas industry is a LOT greater than mine will probably ever be), but that is your opinion. And I would defend your and everyone else's right to discuss their opinions..... unless of course the person was a low life thief or the like... I am not one of these bloody lame left do gooders!!!

I digress!.... A trainee may well be VERY interested in a technical discussion about fixing boilers, installation, ventilation etc etc. Yes he/she will probably have 'other' resourses but what is wrong with having another resourse and who is to say he/she wouldn't learn more by simple reading/taking part in a discussion.

I am a qualified Trainer. I do know a couple of things about learning. One thing that is fundamental to learning is that the learner is exposed to a range of teaching/training methods. We do not all learn the same way. Some of us can pick up a book and absorb information from it whilst others will absorb very little from this method of learning.

A discussion that involves a collection of views and inputs can be a very effective tool in teaching/learning for some people. Its about exposure to a range of material presented in a number of ways that provides the best method of learning.

Aren't discussions great? :LOL:

Fine by me as long as the experts still look at the DIYers questions and give their valuable advice.

This site is a contradiction in it's own right - DIYnot, should be - DIYyes.

We are inundated with rules and regulations, I was enjoying this site for what is was, DIYers having a go, armed with a bit of gleaned knowledge. Yes that may lead him/her to blow themselves up, but at least they would have died thinking they had saved themselves a few bob. :D

Do we need to make it any more of a nanny state?

I also took the Assessor Award course!

I agree with you in theory. Thats why I said that Gas-News was more appropriate for students. The discussion there is very polite and orderly and professional.

Unfortunately, on here its not possible to know who is a professional and who is a DIYer and anyway much of the "advice" is incorrect.

Furthermore not all the "professionals" are very polite to each other.

I am sure the last thing ( if you teach gas ) you would ever want is for a student to interrupt you and say that he read on the DIYnot forum that xxxxxx which totally contradicts what you are teaching!

I think that trainers need to be able to train students who have an open and empty mind to be receptive to what they are teaching. By all means reinforce their understanding from text books or professional sources but I dont think DIYnot is the best place.

It must be very hard for you to deal with the 30 years in the business gas fitter who still thinks that searching with a lighted match is the best way to find a gas leak!

Tony

Hi Tony,

I don't know which 'Assessor' qualifications you have but I have Assessor Qualifications D32, 33, 34 etc but they aren't really a 'Teaching' qualification. They are (obviously) an 'Assessor' qualification that, as you may know, give a background in teaching methods/learning styles. I am a qualified Teacher/Trainer as well as an assessor but that takes me away from my point.... I am digressing...Again!!! I'm always doing that... once I digressed in the middle of a training session to senior managers on... errrrr.....

Right, errrm, as I was saying,

I agree with you in relation to 'advice' being delivered in a unqualified manner i.e. in an open forum, over the internet etc where a reader as no idea of the poster's qualification to speak on the subject. I think that is an excellent point. Far too many students of ANY subject seem to draw information from the internet and quote it verbatim only to find it has been written by some snotty 14 year old for a laugh! So I think on the balance of it and considering the technical and dangerous nature of the subject in this case, you are probably right.... As I said, aren't discussions great?!?! ;)

By the way, I do not teach 'Gas'. I am a HR and Management Trainer. My background however was as a Fitter/Welder (many moons ago!!) and I later moved into the Construction Industry. I have passed CCN1, MET1, WAT1 etc etc but I am not a RGI. As I previously said, your knowledge and experience within the Gas industry is and probably always will be, greater than mine but I enjoy this forum. Indeed I contribute to discussions and give advice (where I can). I would probably enjoy the Combustion Chamber Forum.... I can feel the throb of jealousy running through my vains as I write this :cry: I suppose my thirst for knowledge got the better of my judgement this time. Good luck with the new forum guys.

Sean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back