Gas supply for Vaillant 937 / Copper or Plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me???
I have chosen a new Vaillant 937 boiler to go up into my loft and was told to run 2 X 28mm pipes to the boiler for the gas supply. I cant understand why i would have to do this as the gas meter has a 22mm connection and so does the boiler. I did read somewhere that if the boiler is over 3 metres away from the gas supply use a 28mm pipe but 2 ???????.

Also whilst trying to sort this problem out i am in a dilemma on using plastic piping for the water and central heating or copper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
One would hope that you will be getting a CORGI to fit the gas supply and the essential CORGI parts of the boiler installation, mounting bracket, flue, gas connection and commissioning.

The suggestion for two 28 mm pipes in parallel is because the boiler uses a lot of gas and the gas supply at the boiler has to present a minimum gas presure at the boiler inlet. Its irrelevant what connection sizes the meter and boiler fittings are. In any case the meter connections should be 28 mm.

Its your choice what you use for the heating and water circuits. Most professionals prefer copper! Some have strong views on which is best!

Tony

One would hope that you will be getting a CORGI to fit the gas supply and the essential CORGI parts of the boiler installation, mounting bracket, flue, gas connection and commissioning.

If he is doing it himself he does not need to be CORGI registered.

The suggestion for two 28 mm pipes in parallel is because the boiler uses a lot of gas

Tony

This is madness. This boiler does not need two 28mm pipe for the gas gas supply.

I wonder if anyone can help me???
I have chosen a new Vaillant 937 boiler to go up into my loft and was told to run 2 X 28mm pipes to the boiler for the gas supply. I cant understand why i would have to do this as the gas meter has a 22mm connection and so does the boiler. I did read somewhere that if the boiler is over 3 metres away from the gas supply use a 28mm pipe but 2 ???????.

Also whilst trying to sort this problem out i am in a dilemma on using plastic piping for the water and central heating or copper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

How far away is the boiler from the meter? The gas meter can have a 1" x 28mm connector fitted.

Plastic is OK for the water and CH. It would go for copper to be safe.

The 937 consumes 4.2 cu metres per hour of gas. You can work it out from this:

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/build/pub124/sec3.htm

Sponsored Links
This is madness. This boiler does not need two 28mm pipe for the gas gas supply.

Without knowing the distance from the meter to the boiler in the loft then how can you know what pipe size is required?

Have you surveyed the gas supply route?

Tony

If he is doing it himself he does not need to be CORGI registered.

But he DOES need to be competent to work with gas!

As he does not know how to size gas pipes.......

Tony

30 metres of 28mm copper pipe will deliver 4.7 cu metres per hour of gas at the end of it. He will need one hell of a large house to double up 28mm pipe.

He is asking questions so appears competent enough.

Familiar looking comment. BigBurner, would you, by any chance, be connected with Doctor Drivel, Water Systems, Balenza (TBC) or Richard Hanson-Granville?

30 metres of 28mm copper pipe will deliver 4.7 cu metres per hour of gas at the end of it. He will need one hell of a large house to double up 28mm pipe.

I agree, but I have not seen his house and perhaps it isa one hell of a large house!

It also sounds as if he has been advised on needing the two 28 mm pipes by someone who is CORGI registered and has visited the property.

Tony

As he does not know how to size gas pipes.......

Tony

Neither do you.

Well I have passed the ACS and CORGI seem happy with my ability to size gas pipes!

And more relevant is that when I fit supply pipes they usually deliver gas on full load with a pressure loss within the BS recommendation of < 1 mB .

Tony

Competent or not, Why would he need 2 x 28mm pipes over 30m pipe run is very unusual in a domestic.

Perhaps one is for the pressure relief valve.

I have an ACS Gas Certificate which i have held for the last 6 years with renewing it of course. But i do not install boilers for a living, i am a sparky by trade that has been trained to ACS but not corgi registered, i just dont do gas enough to be up to date with experience, which is why i am asking because i was told to run 2X 28mm gas pipe to the boiler which is approx 10 to 12 metres away from the gas supply.
I am asking the question because i could noy understand what i would gain from it.
You see i am running all the pipe work and then getting it all connected by a registered fitter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back