Gas Alpha Combi Boiler in Airing Cupboard Ventilation?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just had a Alpha CD35C installed in my airing cupboard to replace a hot water tank set up.
The In-Law has been round and mentioned that the cupboard should be ventilated in case of Gas leak or Blocked Flue?????
There is no vents currently, just single flue to roof and one 15mm copper pipe from underside of boiler to outside....

Cheers

Sponsored Links
News to me. In my experience vents were placed into cupboards to facilitate air being sufficient for open flue appliances - you have a room sealed appliance so therefore no vents required.

But guess i don't know it all and other people will put me right!

Some boilers require compartment ventilation to avoid the boiler itself from overheating.

The specifics for your Alpha boiler will be in the installation manual, which the installer hopefully consulted. There is often a size guide for cupboards/compartments below which air vents may be needed.

The installation book should have been left on site so i suggest you take a look, or download it from their www site. We do not fit Alpha products (it's an Italian boiler marketed as alpha in the UK) so I can't be model specific, Im afraid.

Purpose provided Ventilation in compartments is for the provision of combustion air only. As your appliance is room sealed it will take it's combustion air from the outside. There is no need to provide ventilation "in case" there may be a gas leak (unless your pipe work is ducted)

Modern boilers these days come with an array of safety features most of which focus around the flue and how the gas is burning. If your flue should get blocked, your boiler should detect it and shut down.

Sponsored Links
Scary that 3 people have answered this question and only simond knows what ventilation is actually for in regards balanced flue and gives the correct answer by saying check the manual.

As it happens this boiler does not need any ventilation for the compartment, but this is not the case for all balanced flue boilers which is why your inlaws think it should have a vent

3.3 AIR SUPPLY
The boiler does not require any air vents for cooling in the room in which it is installed or when installed in a cupboard or
compartment. The minimum clearances for servicing must always be maintained.
Note: A cupboard or compartment used to enclose the boiler must be designed and constructed specifically for the purpose,
i.e. comply with the Building Regulations.

Vents for a gas leak or in case the flue gets blocked. All so the fumes and gas can leak into the house. :eek:

Just wondering. The 2 who gave such wrong advice have been on here tonight posting (and we all read previous posts) why have they not came back on and said oops we made a mistake. We all make them and nothing wrong with holding hands up.

Or do they think they are still right

Some boilers require compartment ventilation to avoid the boiler itself from overheating.

The specifics for your Alpha boiler will be in the installation manual, which the installer hopefully consulted. There is often a size guide for cupboards/compartments below which air vents may be needed.

The installation book should have been left on site so i suggest you take a look, or download it from their www site. We do not fit Alpha products (it's an Italian boiler marketed as alpha in the UK) so I can't be model specific, Im afraid.

Its as simple as what simond wrote.

The compartment vents are for cooling purpose only. (Balanced flue only)

RGM said:
But guess i don't know it all and other people will put me right!

namsag said:
The 2 who gave such wrong advice have been on here tonight posting (and we all read previous posts) why have they not came back on and said oops we made a mistake.

Must you be so challenging?

If you are a registered gas man this should not be challenging, frankly.

Well RGM if you are going to have such a user name then yes because it is such a basic thing that anyone who is registered should be struck off for not knowing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back