ring main / sockets installed in insulated plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
To please my BCO I need to fit kingspan 50mm insulated plasterbaord on one of my cavity walls which is an outside wall. (garage converison project).
I'm getting in an electrician soon, before hand I'm curious about getting sockets/ringmain put into this wall. Is this a no no to run ringmain cables through insulated plasterboard? Is there anything in the regs from stopping me from doiing this?
What are the short falls of using insulated plasterboard with respect to electrics? Could I be restricted on say fire place electric type heaters up against this type of wall?
thanks
KS

Sponsored Links
Insulation derates the load characteristics of cable due to potential higher operating temparture.

I've just finish a loft job with 100mm kingspan and THEN 35mm board / foam layer as the final skin.

I ran the cables through the wall via dry liner with 100mm x 25mm conduit shot guns from the centre knockouts of the dry liners and then clipped the cables to the inside of the stud work, on the eaves side. Fixed 450 mm from floor to keep the route level with the sockets and off the 300mm rockwall blanket that insulates the eaves.

On yours, am I right in thinking than the kingspan is centre to block work or is it going outside wall, kingspan and then board?

Hi Chri5,
This is the garage conv. View media item 1451
The left party wall protrudes my neighboors property so bco want additional insulation than the current cavity wall gives.

from inside it will be;
skim/plastboard/kingspan 50mm/block/cavity/brick.

If the cable is riddled into the block, then it's possible right?

thanks
KS

Sponsored Links
Run the cable at the very base of the wall / floor and stilt the kingspan 25mm off the base of the wall / floor. if the kingspan is a good snug fit, stilts won't be necessary- if its loose then somje batton under to keep an air gap would work.

This gives air round the cable and prevents the kingspan from sitting directly on the cable.

Alternatively plastic conduit could be used. Chasing the cable in to the block work and fixing it in could be done, but I'd think the alternatives given will be cheaper / quicker and more functional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back