burying cable underground

Sponsored Links
Nope, a cable buried in the ground needs to have an earthed metallic sheath. The easiest method is to use an armoured cable.

cheers for that, i will just run some swa inside it then so in the future can just pull through.

Also how many swa cables can i get in 20mm conduit?

thank you

one and that wuld be pushing it. (ok so you would have to "grease it" and pull it)

SWA is not meant to go in conduit, its meant for external use / direct burial.

The size of the cable required depends on the load you intend to put on it and the distance it has to run.

easiest thing to do is to install a bigger cable than is requred.

it would help if you gave more info such as what is the load and the distance

Sponsored Links
ahhh sorry thought i mentioned he size, its 1.5 probably running about 15 metres for a couple of 500w garden flood lights

also is normal twin and earth waterproof? As in if water goes onto it will it be unaffected?

cheers

T + E is water resistant, but as RF Lighting asks why are you expecting it to get wet, if you are going to use it outside then save money and hassle, don't. Its not that good with UV light and low temps, it splits and cracks

thank for the replies guys

dont have any intention to be using it in wet areas its only a neighbour is adamant that its waterproof, but I wasnt too sure to what extent that was true.

cheers for the help

Don't think steel conduit is suitable for underground or outside use, you'd need galvo as a minimum for outdoor use. Not entirely sure galvo will be brilliant underground either.
Can you run a peice of duct large enough to run a number of SWA cables in?

Do you have a full set of steel conduit bending and threading tools? (even I don't have them)

Do you have some galvanising paint for the threads?

Do you know about ensuring the conduit is properly earthed throughout its entire length, as you will be relying on it as a CPC?

Just out of interest fella's.

One of the books that I bought a few weeks ago was on the recommended list of this very discussion forum, it is by Readers Digest and called The Wiring & Lighting manual. It is more aimed at the home DIY'er.
On page 118 of this latest reprinted and ammended edition it shows how to supply an electric supply to an outbuilding, using T&E cable routed through a buried PVC conduit system...

Is the book wrong ?

The actual technique that the book recommends seems to be fairly sound, although like you I would ( and did ) use SWA when i got my shed powered up.

The IEE regulations are pretty clear on this: 522.8.10 except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage, a cable burried direcly in the ground shall incorporate an earthed armour or sheath or both, suitable for use as a CPC.
So I'd say your book is wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back