Screws/nails to use in damp area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of screws/nails should I be using in a damp cellar? There's lots of water vapour in the air.

I'm fixing treated timber, will galvanised nails rust?

I also have some quicksilver screws from screwfix and some zinx coated multi prupose screws but not too sure which to use?

Sponsored Links
galvanising is to prevent rust.

but anything that goes in there will get damp, how about a vent or two?

Have air bricks already, I'm putting in more.

Still not enough. The problem is the cellar lets in water and the vapour from it rots the woodwork.

Prevention is better than cure!! If you use treated timber & galvanised screws then these wont rot or rust..........but that doesnt escape the fact that they are being used in a damp area.Address the problem of the source of dampness.As breezer states,fit some form of ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Most of the woodscrews available nowadays are not galvanised but zinc passivated (a different process).

Both will corrode in a damp atmosphere; zinc passivated screws will corrode more quickly than galvanised.

As others have said, you need to address the causes of damp and try to reduce it if you can.

You might look at ventalating the cellar and adding a dehumitifier.
But use zinc plated or galvanized screws.

As Mike Holmes would say - do it right.

Finger in the air I'd say you need to dig a trench down the side of the cellar wall (on the outside), apply a membrane and treatment to the outside of the wall and install a land drain.

If water is upwelling into the cellar through the floor then it might be worth installing a sump and pump.

I once had a damp cellar - stored some wine in it, all the labels rotted and fell off - had to drink it to find out what sort it was.... Solved the problem by fitting an extractor fan to pull air from the cellar to outside, and setting a timeswitch so that it came on automatically for an hour a day. Problem solved !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back