Boiler dropping pressure.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a filling loop for a friend on Friday because the loop was letting by. I received a phone call today saying that the system is now loosing pressure. I asked where there any leaks on the valves or pipework and was told there wasnt. So am i right in thinking that the expansion vessel has either lost its charge or the diagphram as split. Or could it possible be the prv is stuck open/letting by ?. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if the old filling loop was letting by then first thing i would look at is the prv.

it prob aint reset after all it has had a constant flow of water through it from the old filling loop.

Welshman, I don't know how far your mate is from you but if its a bit of a drive etc then first port of call I would suggest is ask your pal to check the PRV discharge pipe outside. As SortedPlumbing says, if the filling loop has been letting by and constantly filling the system then the PRV is bound to have opened. I think there is a fair chance it is now jammed/blocked in the open position resulting in system pressure dropping. Small bits of debris from the system can sometimes lodge on the PRV seat and stop it from fully closing resulting in system pressure drop.

thanx for the advice guys, i had an inkling this could be the problem. Will check it out tomorrow and let you know what it is.

Sponsored Links
Or worst case scenario is he has a leak under the floors and it has not showd up because filling loop has been passing just enough water to hide it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back