Fitting A Filling Loop To A Back boiler System?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional backboiler system - boiler and pump downstairs, cylinder upstairs.
Whenever I drain down to do any work, then refill using the F & E tank I always get air locks that are a nightmare to purge.
If I fitted a filling loop to the system, and refilled with mains pressure, would this make air locks less likely?
Where would be the best place to put the loop? I can access the boiler and pump pipework from the void under the downstairs floor, where there is also cold water pipes running. There is also a mains cold water supply near the cylinder upstairs.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Are you simply talking about fitting a loop purely as a means of backfilling the system or converting it to a sealed system?

Sponsored Links
Although it would make it far easier to fill technically it is not allowed due to the remote possibility of 2 faults occuring .
1. filling loop doesn`t turn off properly or gets turned on accidentlly on if left connected
2. Although remote you get a blockage that would result in the open vent/cold feed being closed off.

Result boiler then becomes a pressurised system without the relevant safety devices to stop the big bang

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back