light fitting with loads of wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i just bought a new light fitting for my bathroom, its my first house and i have managed to change the fittings and lightswitches pretty well as i never did it before, anyway.

when i took it of the ceiling, it had three sets of cable going into it, inside the light it was connected to a long plastic thing that has 6 holes in, its says on them in this order from left to right Flex, (N) ,loop, Live, FLex

the two flex ones are connected to the light fitting, there is one wire in the live terminal (black with a red bit on it) 3 red wires in the loop terminal, and two black in the N terminal. the earth from each cable were bound together an was just poked up in the loft not connected to anything.

what is all this for? can i do anyting to make it fit the new light which only has 3 terminals?

hope that makes sense, would be great if someone could help me :)

thanks

Sponsored Links
what is all this for? can i do anyting to make it fit the new light which only has 3 terminals?

Yes, but you will need to get yourself a strip of terminal blocks and cut one off to use inside your new light fitting, as four terminals are still required.

when i took it of the ceiling, it had three sets of cable going into it, inside the light it was connected to a long plastic thing that has 6 holes in, its says on them in this order from left to right Flex, (N) ,loop, Live, FLex

the two flex ones are connected to the light fitting, there is one wire in the live terminal (black with a red bit on it) 3 red wires in the loop terminal, and two black in the N terminal. the earth from each cable were bound together an was just poked up in the loft not connected to anything.

The black wire with red sleeving currently in the Live terminal is your switched live and should go to the live terminal in your new light fitting. This should be labelled L or Live and will likely have a red or brown wire on the fitting itself.

The three wires in the loop terminal will need to go into the aforementioned extra terminal block, one of these wires is the live supply, another will go onto the next light fitting in the circuit, and the final one will go to the wall switch.

The black wires in the N terminal are of course neutral, these should go into the N/Neutral terminal in your new light fitting. Said terminal should be labelled as Neutral but can also be identified by the blue or black wire going to the fitting itself.

There should also be three unsheathed copper wires, these are the earth conductors and should be insulated with green/yellow sleeving and wired to the earth terminal in the new fitting.

You will require a choc block with four terminals.

Black with the red sleeving goes into 'L' (it is switched live)
Two black go into 'N'
Green and yellow go into 'Earth'
These should then be connected to your light fitting.

The reason you need a fourth terminal is for the red cores which go together and are not connected to anything else. These are the live 'loop' for the light in the next room.

ok cool i think i get it:

so the black N ones i can put in the same hole?

and if i get one of the block things then, i put the three red ones in there, but not connect it to anything.

earth the yellolw ones to the fitting . and the live goes in the live?

sorry if i have just repeated what you said, just want ot get it right in my head??

Sponsored Links
Yes, that sounds right, as long as by live you mean the switch live wire which is black with a red band of sleeving.

so the black N ones i can put in the same hole?
Not only can you, you must.

and if i get one of the block things then, i put the three red ones in there, but not connect it to anything.
Yup - but you really only need a single "way" of choc (in a choc-box), for those permanent lives, all the others (neutrals, switched live, cpcs) just go into the terminals on the fitting.

If you want to replace the rose with something separate from the new light fitting then use a 4-terminal junction box, not a strip of choc.

earth the yellolw ones to the fitting
Green & Yellow, yup.

. and the live goes in the live?
The switched live - i.e. the black with the red sleeving.

1) When they are in the terminals of a ceiling rose, are they:

a) connected together?
b) not connected together?

2) If you put them in different terminals in a choc-block will they be:

a) connected together?
b) not connected together?

they are not connected together now, they are in three separate holes.

does that mean i have to keep them like that?

i can but just wondered if it made a difference or not?

:)

If you look at the old fitting, the 3 loop holes are joined together i.e. it is the same metal block which spans all 3 holes ;) .
This means that 3 red wires which were in those holes need to remain connected together, i.e. in the same block.

If you look at the old fitting, the 3 loop holes are joined together i.e. it is the same metal block which spans all 3 holes ;) .
This means that 3 red wires which were in those holes need to remain connected together, i.e. in the same block.

cool thanks dude :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back