Installing New Dishwasher, Can I.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I'm about to install a new dishwasher (smeg slimline) I know it only needs a cold water feed but i'm wondering because it will be sat next to the washing m/c is it possible to install it in-line with the washing m/c? i.e. share the same cold water feed with the washing m/c & also share the waste outlet? I'm envisaging some kind of T-splitter for the cold water supply at the back of the appliance & some kind of Y-splitter for the 2 grey waste tubes to merge?? or is this just too easy? I live in a purpose built flat where the waste stack is awkward to get to, so the sharing of piping would be the easiest option...a friend told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as i don't use both simultaneoulsy! is this all true? if so what splitter items do i need? many thanks

Sponsored Links
I should make it clear 1st I'm not an appliance engineer.....however if you do share the water feed/waste outlet as long as only 1 appliance is "asking/ releasing" water at a time then i can't see how a problem can possibly arise. don't know enough about it to actually recommend an exact 'splitter' model but I'm sure I've seen them out there!
happy hunting :)

If your washing machine is being fed from the mains then to split the supply should not be a problem as the the machines take water in by volume not presure, (so if both machines are on the cycle could be slower, doubt if you would notice it). As far as the waste if the discharge pipe is not large enough you could have a problem if both machines emptied at the same time. I would 'suck it & see' if this created a problem then use one machine at a time.

you can only use one appliance at a time, since as mentioned water demand by both will be split, but likewise so will the waste, and if the pipe cant take it then it will go somewhere (probably over the floor)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.. i've been down to B&Q & picked up the cold water splitter (Y-Splitter that fits onto the local cold shut-off junction) but for the life of me can't find the same kind of connector to bring the 2 waste pipes together! Any suggestions? Ta.

Don't know if it's any use to you, but when I carried
out the same doubling up as yourself, I got a new
plumbing part with an intake and screwed the second
grey waste pipe into that.(see below)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=27375&id=12794

If thats a pain you could use one of these, if I'd seen it
at the time, I would've used it! (see screwfix part below)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=27232&id=11879

I also added a Y piece as my supply was fed from the mains. I've
never had an issue with either parts and that's been almost 4 years now!

Good Luck

Hammy.

Re breezer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you can only use one appliance at a time, since as mentioned water demand by both will be split, but likewise so will the waste, and if the pipe cant take it then it will go somewhere (probably over the floor)

---------

Breezer..re the water intake. As I said it will only reduce the flow rate, both machine can be used to fill at the same time..Or are you saying I cant drink water from the tap if Im using the washing machine. (Just as a
hypothetical analogy)

in theory you can use both, they will as you said filll s l o w l y, but its when they pump out, if they both go at the same time (s*ds law say they will eventually) thtas when you will get trouble as i mentioned, so best way is to not have both on at same time

so... the consensus of opinion is that it's okay, but if both machines are on at the same time filling may take a bit longer than usual because of the pull on the water supply... but no harm done.... but on pump-out there's a slight possibilty that where the two pipes converge may cause added pressure & subsequently cause a connection to fail?? am i right?
So the general answer is... use one at a time & see how it goes?

Thanks a lot guys.
Hammy, I couldn't click into screwfix!! Their server looks down or they switch off at night or something...just get a come back later screen!!

But i will check it in the morning so cheers for that..

Ro.

I've had a dishasher and washing machine on the same water feed via a y splitter for ages no problems and haven't really noticed the time it takes fill.
If you can I would always go for two separate standpipes for the waste.
I did have one of the grey self cutting things on for a while until I changed my sink drain arrangement - seemed to work ok although when i took it of it was starting to get a bit blocked up with lint/fluff so may have caused a problem after a bit.

cheers

Surprised no-one has brought this one up, but here goes:

If you are planning to plug the washing machine and dishwasher into the same double socket, even two separate sockets on the same circuit, you might have problems with tripping the circuit breaker. If s*ds law raises it's ugly head here, then you will be doing a hot-wash with the dishwasher, whilst boil washing something, whilst making a cup of tea with a kettle. Then it is possible you will draw enough current at once to trip the circuit breaker.

And if you have them plugged into the same double socket, you might exceed the 13A limit (the limit is 13A for both of the sockets, not each!).

A spark who used to post on here recommended against using a dishwasher and washing machine on the same circuit simultaneously. :idea:

thanks guys....... interesting thought (about the power drain) never came into my mind. But i've decided to wash my clothes on a different day from doing the dishes!!!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back