Weird shower releases water 20mins. after it's turned off!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a shower fitted (Crosswater SQ Multi Function Thermostatic Shower Valve). All works fine and looks lovely. The only thing is after about 20mins there's a a release of water from the shower head that's significant, it's not a mere drip. Almost like it turned itself back on for 10 seconds. Our builder said it's an airlock in the shower head and once gravity has played it part the water escapes. All perfectly normal he's told us. I've used a few showers in my time an never come across this. Anyone have a view?

Sponsored Links
i can see what your builder means and does sound sensible answer but its not normal and i've never had one do that.

Seems that surface tension prevents the head draining for a while, possibly because it's new and there is some greasy material around. You could try squirting a few drops of washing-up detergent into the head.

Sponsored Links
this is a normal occurence especially with shower heads that can hold large amount of water which is held in when some evaperation takes place seal is broken & gravity takes over

I`ve had a large 8" shower head do this . I tilted it slightly to enable the air to get in and the water to drain out .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back