Moving Bathroom Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Be gentle I am new on here :D

I am currently moving my downstairs bathroom light switch outside as it is currently inside the bathroom.
I have installed a new back box on the opposite side to the internal switch, all I need to do is pull the wires through to the new box on the opposite side. I want to extend the wires and pull them through the rear of the new back box, what is the best way to extend the wires?
I will be fitting a blanking plate over the old switch back box and that is where the joined cables will be hidden, approx 50mm deep. I intend to drill a hole through the wall and pull the wires through to rear of new back box, if this makes sense?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
I am currently moving my downstairs bathroom light switch outside as it is currently inside the bathroom.
So?

Isn't it usual to have switches for lights in the room where the lights are?

I have installed a new back box on the opposite side to the internal switch, all I need to do is pull the wires through to the new box on the opposite side. I want to extend the wires and pull them through the rear of the new back box, what is the best way to extend the wires?
In descending order of preference:

1) Replace the drop cable with one running down the other side of the wall.

2) Replace the drop cable with one long enough to reach the new switch position without joins.

3) Join in the old switch box with choc-block.

So?

Isn't it usual to have switches for lights in the room where the lights are?

In descending order of preference:

1) Replace the drop cable with one running down the other side of the wall.

2) Replace the drop cable with one long enough to reach the new switch position without joins.

3) Join in the old switch box with choc-block.

Im no expert but I would have thought thta water and light switches don't mix! Also never seen a light switch in a bathroom yet, only pullcords or switches on the outside.

Sponsored Links
A lightswitch outside a bathroom is a no-no in my opinion. Its all too easy for someone to brush past it and flick it off, or turn it off not knowing what its for. Also theres the mischief factor. Kids playing tricks on each other.

Pull the cable into the loft and fit a pullcord. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back