pulling an offset at 45 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been making a 15mm offset using a hand bender - I pulled it to 45 degrees and the distance between the two fittings was 65mm. so i marked 2 lines on paper 65mm apart. i made the first bend and layed it on the template (on the paper) and marked the position for the second line. I used McKeown's rule and went back 35mm and pulled the 2nd bend in the opposite direction and it was good, lined up with my 2 fittings, but one problem-there was no pipe left (straight pipe) to insert the fittings at each end! did i pull too wide an angle ( should i have pulled only a 30 degree bend?? or even a larger angle?? i feel stupid as i cannot remember how to work out the correct angle to pull - usually a 45 degree angle for the first bend is fine..

Sponsored Links
30 degree angle for the first.

I've just pulled a set and it was too long! :oops:

thats what i was thinking. actually i just remembered, i need 2 folding steel rules- 600mm deduct the length between bend - in my case 65mm from 600 - put my other steel rule on 535 and bend to that angle!! just came back to me ......

Sponsored Links
while i'm on the subject of copper pipe! :) and on the net - can i ask a simple question to you - when a soldered joint is made, if the silver ring isd all the way around, then the joint is good isn't it ... ? one of those days :)!

that's my original point!! when pulling the offset the offset itself was too big, eg one bend to the other fitted the space and there was no room for the straight ends to insert into the fittings at each end!!! - as the other poster mentioned, i needed a smaller angle 30 degree ... nothing to do with length of pipe.

I was taught the "2 steel rules method", then later told if set <50mm bend to 30deg, >50mm to 45deg. usually just bend it now (and keep fingers crossed)

yep the 2 steel rule is good - i was taught that and the mckeown's rule for going back from marked point. i did a 45 for a 65mm diatance (width) between 2 joints (using 2 pieces of scrap pipe) and it was not good!!! so gonna do it again (tomorrow now)!:) to 30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back