open vented new boiler approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the Corgi experts please help.I am considering replacing my old floor boiler 25 yrs old. I has 2 plumbers called in to advice the best option.Both suggested installing a condensate pump as there is not enough gradient & nearest drain point is on the opposite wall where kitchen sink is located. Not possible to discharge externally due to cimmunal balcony.One suggested a condensate pump & other one said pump is too noisy but can install an open vented boiler which does not require condensate discharge.
My question is. Does open vented boiler require special exemption from local council . Does council dept. personnel need to visit my flat & give approval in writing?
Your help is very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
other one said pump is too noisy but can install an open vented boiler which does not require condensate discharge.
Utter rubbish.
Whether the system is open vented or sealed has no bearing on being condensing.
You can have a non condensing boiler if your property qualifies due to difficulty of fitting a condensing boiler.
Corgi installers should be able to do the assessment of whether you qualify.
Potterton do a floor standing boiler with a condensate pump built-in.

If my memory serves me correctly, a manufacturer has come up with a boiler requiring no condense drain.

I think it uses an evaporative tray arrangement, I haven't done an internet search but I recall reading about it late last year.

Edit: it's an Atmos.

The Vaillant Ecolevel condensate pump I fit to Vaillants can hardly be heard when in operation.

It is not on all the time anyway.

Sponsored Links
use a condensate pump, noise is minimal we fit them to air con cassettes all the time,no one has made a complaint about noise YET :LOL:

Seems like the engineer is getting his condensate confused with his pressure relief valve as the open vented boiler doesn't have a PRV. Seems strange that he should mention the noise of the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back