2 gang 2 way to 1 gang 2 way in single core?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone have a wiring diagram for 2 gang 2 way to 1 gang 2 way in single core? i have 206 exam coming up and i just dont get it.

many thanks if you can help,

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply - if 1 of the switches was 2 gang 2 way would i just use a strapper from common to common to connect them? I have to connect 2 gang 2 way and 1 gang 2 way to 2 lights for 206 exam and there isnt a diagram with that combinations. I think 1 gang 2 way controls 1 light and the 2 gang 2 way controls both lights-im confused!

I think 1 gang 2 way controls 1 light and the 2 gang 2 way controls both lights

Well you got that bit right! The second drawing on that link RF Lighting gave you is the favoured one for two-way lighting now.

if 1 of the switches was 2 gang 2 way would i just use a strapper from common to common to connect them?

Not with that two-way circuit. The 'strapper' (I would call it a link wire) has to go in a terminal with permanent live on it. To be quite honest, you ought to be able to work this stuff out for yourself. You might be able to pass an exam by memorizing standard circuit diagrams but what will you do when you find yourself face to face with a jumble of wires behind a real switch? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Steady on space cat, he is just training at the moment :!:

Can't you remeber what it was like.

A1pacino, when ever I used to come across things like this i got my pencil out, drew what I had and then re-drew it as I needed it.

This allowed me to carryout the thought processes in my head and visually.

We all have different levels of Kinesthetic, visual and auditory learning (KVA they call it)

By using all these 3 types you will access and formulate the solution for yourself.

Space cat is right to a certain extent, but then again rote learning makes things stick and allows you to react much quicker.

What ever you do don't panic if you come a blank. Take a pause, reach for your pencil and paper and draw it, even in the exam, I and some of my student friends did, there was no problem from the invigilators.

2 of us had degrees in technical subjects, but we still needed to visualise the problem.

Better safe than sorry and going at it like a blind bull in a serving crate

BOL

oharaf said:
Steady on space cat, he is just training at the moment

Oops! Fair point. Sorry alpacino. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I still recommend that you try to understand how a circuit works rather than just memorizing it. Even if you can draw one from memory, follow the wires and convince youself that it will really work. Study those two-way lighting circuits in the link. Follow the current path from live (L) through the fuse, switches and light to neutral (N). The first one is the easiest to follow but harder to wire up in practice. The second one is the favoured method but learn them both because you'll bump into the first one sooner or later.

Now let's add the second light. Obviously it will need its own switch so this has to be the other half of the two-gang switch. On its own, this circuit would be very simple: live -> fuse -> switch -> light -> neutral. So how do we add it onto the two way circuit? (We'll use the second two-way circuit.) :?: :?: :?:

For a start, both lights can share the same fuse so we can pick up our live supply AFTER the fuse. You could connect at any point between the fuse and either switch but a switch terminal will be easiest. (With this circuit, both of the two-way switches have one terminal that is always live.) This is where the link wire comes in. Connect it from the always-live terminal on the two-way switch to COM on the switch for the one way light.

Next you connect one side of the light to either L1 or L2 and, finally, the other side of the light to neutral. The third terminal of this switch is not used. There is a fifty-fifty chance that the switch will operate 'upside-down'. In this case, move the light from L1 to L2 (or vice versa) and the switch will operate the other way up. Can you see why? :) :) :)

PS: You'll notice that the earth wires are left out of the first two diagrams. That's because schematics are pruned down to show only the 'working' wires. The wiring diagrams below show more physical detail and earths are included.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back