Possible Earth Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to replace a LV transformer for some downlighter the other day but couldn't turn the power off!! I know this sounds odd but initially I tried removing each fuse, still power to the junction box in the loft. I then turned the power off at the consumer unit and still there was a residual current showing at the junction box. I only tested this with a standard electrical screwdriver so cannot be sure what the voltage is. Needless to say this worried me so I explored around the house and found at the copper pipe in the airing cupboard also gives me an electrical reading.

Is this a live/earth crossover and if so how can this happen with the consumer unit turned off?

Help cause its driving me insane

Sponsored Links
possible cause broken neutral conductor giving a return path via a peice of equipment/lamp etc.
if you have a pme system(earth) then the earth and the neutral are conneted at the transformer(ie supply authority transformer).
It is possible that you do not have an earth path in you home in any case you cross bonding must be fauly otherwise all of your pipes etc would be at the same potention.

It appears that its voltage you are checking not current. and this voltage could be low.

It is essential the you ask a qualified electrician with proper test kit to check your installation.

ou may also have a faulty main switch in your consumer unit. none of this is difficult to check nor should it be costly to correct. I hopr this helps.

I hat those screwdivers, they give false readings, as for those testers you hold in proximity to a cable, they are worse,you can not beat a meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back