Large Loft - Conversion

Sponsored Links
for Dean's info only (as it's a touchy statement and therefore represents personal opinion) re my previous post.

- the SE is the only person i pay in trade that i like paying as i know they always save me money as opposed to simply taking it.

i guess in short although they fill their own biscuit tin as everyone needs to they make sure yours stays a full as it can.

Well for any of you guys still here, I finally bit the bullet and went for it.

Got an engineer friend to make the (extremely heavy!!) steel beams. They are sitting on steel bearer of 1500.

Three velux's in so far and about half the woodwork. Thought I just post to let people know the outcome.

Pics:

IMG_0004qa.jpg

Beam1.jpg

Beam2.jpg

Beam3.jpg

gbfvdasaf.jpg

asdfgfd.jpg

Coachboltss.jpg

Velux.jpg

Timbers.jpg

Sponsored Links
Trip to the dentist is in order for the S.E. who designed that one. (after eating all those biscuits!)

Might want to copy this into the "my projects" area of the forum, and keep us updated!!!

A few questions:

How did you get the steels into the loft?

I see light in one photo - did you take out part of the roof and lift them in?

What are you doing to strengthen the existing roof structure? I see timber fastened to existing diagonals, and top horizontal support, but how does it all tie in?

Are the floor joists going to rest on the bottom of the I beam? I assume so, or else you'd loose too much headroom.

Looking good anyway.

By the way, make sure any junction boxes for the lighting are made accessible from below to meet wiring regs ;)

Fair Play to you ;) Definitely a Don`t move.....Improve. job ;)

I'm wondering what you do for your day job. Not many people would take on something that size. BTW, Can we have a piccie of the outside?

Not sure if it'd have worked, but I'd have considered running a steel across the house underneath and perpendicular to the two main spans, such that it would reduce the size of steel needed - it would give them halfway support. Looking at the sizes there, it could have sat just above the ceiling.

It might sound daft, but are there two of these giant beams? I can only see one in the photos, even at the factory . . . (unless thats one made up inside, and one split outside)

How did you get the steels into the loft?

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply. No, I used a winch just above the new stair well. There's no way in the world we would have got them up there otherwise.

What are you doing to strengthen the existing roof structure? I see timber fastened to existing diagonals, and top horizontal support, but how does it all tie in?

I hadn't started the new timbers in those photos. They will be above the steel beams under and each side of the trusses, carriage bolted.

The new floor joists will sit on the bottom of the steel beams and will also be carriage bolted to the trusses at each existing stress point, to hold the lower ceiling in place after I cut the centre truss supports out :eek: :D

I'm wondering what you do for your day job. Not many people would take on something that size. BTW, Can we have a piccie of the outside?

I'm a builder/bricklayer. I'm the daft arse that built the house without doing the loft in the first place, with no load bearing walls upstairs!
Unfortunately I only just had enough cash at the time to do things the cheap way.

Here's a web page from when I built the house. Just a few words and pics.....

http://our-pad.host-ed.net/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back