I want to build a small porch - please advise / comment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house could do with a porch - something to keep the pushchair and outdoor shoes in. I have DIY experience and feel this is something I want to attempt myself.

I'd like some comments on where/how to start and any advice for getting the work done.

So, some details:

- step down from front door to existing path: 6inches
- desired dimensions: 1.5m (way from house) x 2m (along existing exterior wall including current front door)

Does this sort of thing normally need planning permission?

How big should the foundations be?

That sort of stuff.

Many thanks!

Sean.

Sponsored Links
Assuming a "normal" sort of single height, that's going to have a volume of < 10 m^3 - so will most likely fall under permitted development providing you haven't already used up your entitlement with other extensions. (you have to subtract the volume of existing / other extensions from the volume of the "original" house, then if it's not in a conservation area or anything like that it's up to 15% increase in volume as PD.) If you want to be on the safe side drop a sketch of your intentions to the duty officer and ask them to confirm it in writing.

Haven't got a clue on the rest, that's the sort of question I've been asking on a daily basis :D

Hi, Sean,
If the porch is going on the front of the house, that means it will alter the building line and will certainly need planning.
The footings need to be commensurate with the house founds, (means a similar depth)
If you're going for 4" brick or blockwork, as it will be non hab. (if the front door is being left on).
You will probably need building regs anyway.
Will you be covering up or altering and gullies or drains, will you cover any air bricks? Where will the water off the roof go? how do you plan to tie it in to the existing house?
All questions you need an answer for before approaching the council for permissions.

Oops - forgot about that sticky out bit :oops: Think I best stick to asking the questions...

Sponsored Links
a porch does not require b.c. approval.

also, if the roof is less than a certain size (less than 4m2 or so) then the rainwater can be allowed to run off the roof without collection, if you so wish. or collected in a gutter and down-piped onto the ground.

having seen what prolonged driving rain and extremes of cold can do, i would be inclined to build the wall as insulated cavity wall.

found's need to be on good undisturbed (virgin) ground. excavations need to be deeper than all fertile matter.

a porch does not require b.c. approval.

also, if the roof is less than a certain size (less than 4m2 or so) then the rainwater can be allowed to run off the roof without collection, if you so wish. or collected in a gutter and down-piped onto the ground.

having seen what prolonged driving rain and extremes of cold can do, i would be inclined to build the wall as insulated cavity wall.

found's need to be on good undisturbed (virgin) ground. excavations need to be deeper than all fertile matter.

Noseall is totally correct; a porch doesn’t need either PP or building regs. providing you keep the original front door (or an external door) between the porch & the main property & that you don’t heat the porch. PP will only be required if your Council has removed your permitted development rights (based on previous planning consents) or has taken these rights away throughout the area (called an Article 4 direction) then you can build a porch regardless of how many extensions the property has previously had.

Guys if your not 100% certain of your facts, don't post incorrect info as it just confuses everyone! :rolleyes:

Hi, Sean,
If the porch is going on the front of the house, that means it will alter the building line and will certainly need planning.

No. If the porch is 1) less than 3 sq m floor area; 2) not more than 3m high and 3) not nearer than 2m to the back of the footpath, it will NOT need planning permission (assuming not listed building;no withdrawal of permitted developmenbt rights etc etc).
Also would not require any building regs. application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back