Painting plastic guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to paint my existing plastic black gutering to match my windows and door.

I have been told painting guttering is a bad idea. A few of the local houses have this so I know it can be done and look good.

Any tips for how to do this - I would imagine a special undercoat would be required to create an effective bond with the plastic.

Can anyone reccomend an approriate undercoat and then what type of paint to use as the top coat?

Darren

Sponsored Links
non-drip glosss. One good flowing coat. No undercoat or primer.

Before painting, clean well and final prep with wire wool and white spirit, wipe away residue with clean rag.

I did this plastic waste-pipe and meter box over 15 years ago.

View media item 979
View media item 1564

Clean and dust off. Clean over with turps or white spirit. I use liquid gloss thinned down to go on easier. Non drip is fine and wont run from brackets. Will dry to a mirror finish and wont come off. When they get older palstic gutters and spouts get weathered and look awful. A coat of gloss makes the job look great. No undercoat though. :D

and i can get gloss colour matched from a trade shop?

Sponsored Links
Dulux or Leyland/Johnstones will match any of the thousands of colours in their range in gloss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back