Kitchen Ceiling Lights 12V - Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'Day all,

I have a situation in my kitchen where a bank of 3x12v ceiling lights have all died. They've all stopped at the same time so that's why I'm assuming they're all wired together. The bulbs are 20W 12V Closed Dichroic (what ever that means).
I've tried replacing the bulbs with known good bulbs to know avail. I've also checked the circuit breakers and nothing has been tripped. I can only assume that the transformer has failed??

Is anyone with electrical experience able to help confirm my thoughts and if I'm correct perhaps suggest what kind of transformer I need to purchase?

Many thanks
Terryn.

Sponsored Links
Terry,

Had a similar situation when I moved into the house. 6 20W 12v lamps in the kitchen ceiling. Made a loud buzzing noise whenever they were switched on and bulbs started to go quickly.

Unfortunately, previous builder had fixed the transformers [2 60VA ones] to the ceiling joists so I had to make two cutouts in the ceiling plaster and remove them.

Both were the really old heavy types and both had large cracks across the transformer base.

I rewired them so as to locate the transformers where I could get at them if they went again and ensuring the maximum distance from furthest light to transformer was not exceeded. Then had to patch and skim the ceiling.

I bought my replacements from Screwfix and have posted the link below.

Maybe some of the experts here can recommend a cheaper site or give you some better advice.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48058...AC-Low-Voltage-Electronic-Transformer-20-60VA

Apologies to the Mods if this breaches the rules - feel free to remove

Awesome mate thanks for you help. Luckily I've been able to pull the transformer through the lamp hole in the ceiling. The unit you linked me to looks very similar to the one in our ceiling. I can't believe its only £5 pounds - I was expecting to pay more.

Now I just need to make sure I don't get electrocuted when I wire it up.

Thanks for your help
Terryn.

No problem.

One thing though - I replaced mine before Part P came in.

I am not sure if the straight replacement of the transformers would be covered by Part P because this is a straight replacement albeit in a 'special' zone [kitchen]

I would wait until you get a definitive answer on here before doing any work which may be Part P covered/notifiable just to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Spark123

Didn't want anyone to breach any regs...

The transformer you have quoted is only good for 3 x 20watt lamps. That is fine for the lamps you are using. You'd need a bigger transformer if you plan to put in more powerful lamps.

Thanks TTC

Posted the link to the 60VA one as he states 3 x 20W

As you know, Screwfix [and many other places] do larger ones if they want to up the bulb wattage

Fantastic guys, thanks very much for your help. Do they go often?

If they are:

a: carp quality

b: fixed close to a heat source

c: covered with or lying on loft insulation

or any combination of the above, then yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back