Fixing gate post to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe not the right forum, but here goes.

I'm fixing a garden gate to the house wall. The gate will be about 6 feet tall by 4 feet wide. It'll be in timber, and heavyish.

The wall it'll hinge 9 inch solid brick wall. So I thought I'd use a piece of 3 x 2 fastened to the wall. And fix the hinges to that.

What I'm pondering is the best way to fix the 3 x 2 to the wall. ALL the weight of the gate will be on this. There won't be any sort of cross piece at the top, so the gate will be trying to pull the post away from the wall. And of course there will be a small amount of lateral movement every time the gate opens and closes.

I thought first of all to use 4 x 2 to reduce the lateral movement. I alos want the thing to be demountable in case I change my mind, need a new post or whatever.

And ideally I'd like to not leave anything in the wall. I can't go right through the wall (even if I wanted to) as it's on a corner.

I've never used shield anchors and such like. But something like this:

http://www.powers.com/pdfs/mechanical/07246.pdf

looks like the business. Is there a UK version? Anybody used them? What success?

The wall is redbrick. And pretty solid. I don't think they're actually engineering brick, but I thought it was just me being a wuss until I started employing electricians and plumbers who all complained how hard the brickwork is. So hopefully I can get a pretty secure anchor.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If you want the post to be readily demountable, I would use a shield anchor bolt like this .

It sounds like you need a decent SDS drill to make an impression on those bricks.

I think you're over complicating the job.

Some [nr 12] screws and [brown] plugs will do this perfectly, or some [8 or 10mm] hammer-fix or frame-fix plugs will be more than enough.

4 fixings of 50mm into the wall will do it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back