Whats the best thing to do here (lawn problems)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front lawn was 60% covered in moss earlier this year, and I used 2/3 sowings of the granule moss killer and 1 dousing of the soluble moss killer. Now the lawn is almost moss free, but there are large bare areas among the grass. Also the soil is so compacted and with large hollows and bumps, even after a few sunny days the ground shows cracks in the soil. After it rained a few weeks ago, I tried to make some aerateing? holes to improve drainage, but as it was so hard I only managed to drive the fork about 1 1/2 to 2 inches into the ground.

I planned on dressing the existing lawn and re seeding, but due to the fact I need to improve the drainage first, I had thought about rotavating it and starting from scratch.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, with that level of deep-seated compaction, you have no choice but to dig it up, turn the soil, remove weeds, dead roots and stones and rake the soil to a fine powdery texture. Then re-seed. Cover the seed in a thin layer of compost or mix it up in soil to save it from birdies. Water it with a very fine spray ('mist' setting) and in two to three weeks time you will have a green surface to love and cherish. Only aerating the compacted surface will not help. Hire a cultivator/rotavator and sort the whole place out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back