ADVICE - BECOMING AN ELECTRICIAN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to post on here as it's not really a 'wiring' question but I would appreciate any advice.

I am somewhat confused over what is the correct route to becoming a qualified electrician. There appears to be a million different courses about from NVQs to C&Gs and anywhere in between.

What is the preferred/best route, starting from scratch??

I have a fair bit of knowledge in the area but no formal qualifications in electrical work and I am considering this as a trade for when I retire.

I've seen a few 'quick-fix' courses which compress it all into a few weeks but I am sure this is not the way to go if I want to learn it properly.

I was looking at plumbing but the advice on here and from mates who are plumbers is not to bother as they are ten a penny. Would like to think you're not going to tell me the same about sparks!!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
city & guilds 2330 level 2 (2 years part time at college) costs about £300 per year

am2 practical tests costs about £500

you can follow this with a third year at college for level 3 which you need if you want to progress onto nvq 3

nvq3 costs about £500

17th edition wiring regs cost about £200

2391-01 Inspection & Testing cost about £400

then part p & certify with niceic etc if you wish to self certify costs about a million quid :)

Many Thanks.

Fortunately, this forum has pointed me to a site where the 17th is only £55. I assume this would be the best place to start - i.e. getting the book.

Will have to look at courses for the 2330 near me.

I assume these 'quick-fix' courses which compress it all are not all they seem?

Hi, Bellboyz,
If you plan on being a site sparky, you first need to practice getting a joiner to put a temporary door on a room to secure it, (to keep the wires and suff in)
Then you send in an apprentice to put a temporary supply on to the room.
Then,
A kettle,
Several comfy chairs, and a wire coil for the lad to sit on
A table

Sponsored Links
Hi, Bellboyz,
If you plan on being a site sparky, you first need to practice getting a joiner to put a temporary door on a room to secure it, (to keep the wires and suff in)
Then you send in an apprentice to put a temporary supply on to the room.
Then,
A kettle,
Several comfy chairs, and a wire coil for the lad to sit on
A table

And not forgetting the plumber's apprentice to put temporary cold water pipe and tap in to fill said kettle!!!!!!!!!!!! [but then I can do that one!]

:D

You may also wish to consider NVQ 2 in leaving bits of insulation and copper wire around your work area.

This goes on to a NVQ Level 3, but you need to work with cables with sharp armour/sheilding like SWA and SY cables a lot to get that!

(yes, I know thats not a C-S original, but I nearly wet myself when i read it in the trade talk forum)

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I assume then that becoming a sparks means not having to carry a dustpan and brush!!!!!

:eek:

dustpan and brush?

Strange concept to me. Maybe you should post about that in the Painting and Decorating forum...

tin_hat_2_mid.jpg

If it helps heres how I have done it.

Firstly forget buying yourself THE BIG RED REGS just yet!

I started 2330 2 nights a week a year ago in Sept. 1 night theory 1 night practical.

I flogged my guts out and managed to do the whole of level 2 in that year, hard work but satisfying!!!

Started Level 3 this Sept, finished that in 4 months (bloody hard work)

Sitting 17th in 2 weeks

Got as much experience in the trade as I could possibly get, mainly working with little bro. who is qualified

Quit my £45K teaching job in Feb and now working for myself

Best bloody move ever!!!

Get into a college NOW talk to them, try and make contact with someone in the trade and get some experience, or apply for a mates job, this will help you gain a place on the course, some colleges very picky and you must already be 'working' in the trade

BOL :D

I've done 16th edition (will no doubt have to upgrade this soon) and also Testing & Inspecting 2391 which was quite tough and hoping to pick up some electricians mates work to learn the trade the hard way. But I am doing this so I can retire not when I retire

could easily of done a 4 week wonder course, but now im onto my 3rd year and looking back can say it was def better option

I think I detect a ripe gleaning ground for the Bretheren of the Wall here!
The wall exists wether you believe in it or not!

Not so much a religion, more a bunch of cults.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back