Varilight IR Dimmer and Normal Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the instructions it clearly says that the 2 gang varilight can not be used as part of a 2 way circuit with a normal switch. My problem is the normal switch is part of a normal 2 gang and the other switch here controls 2 outside lights which I really dont need dimming!
I guess the safe options are to try to seek out a IR dim/ normal 2 gang switch (if such a thing exists) or rake out some plasterboard and replace my 2 gang normal switch with a single normal (for outside) and a single Varilight, but before I go investing money or wrecking walls I just wondered what kind of issues I'm gonna come up against if I try to put my Varilight up against a normal switch in a 2 way circuit. (I really dont want to burn my house down if I can help it)

Anyone help?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I can't see how you would - do the varilight dimmers even have connections to make them part of a two way circuit? I'd assume it would be live in, switched live out and then a terminal for the connection to allow slave switches to talk. If that's the case then I wouldn't even try wiring them in standard two way configuration, you'll probably irreparably damage the dimmer.

Hi

Thanks ElectronicsUK

The connections are Slave, Live and Load.
The existing two way (normal) switch has common, L1 and L2. I understand it that Common goes to live and S1 goes to load. (This configuration has worked for the one-way part of the 2 gang switch I am replacing - i have left the 2 way part as was until I get confirmation either way about burning my house down/ wrecking the dimmer) :S

I should add that the enclosed instructions show wiring diagrams for one way, and multi-way circuits which I take to mean, would include 2-way?

Is this relevant?:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26211

HI, I did follow the instructions that came with it. But it seems that the 'slave'
pictured here http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIQS001.html does not come on or do anything.

when I had an ordinary rocker switch on the landing instead of the slave dimmer, the varilight 2way 2 gang downstairs in the hall works okay. This is why I was asking if the slave dimmer can be used in this setup or whether it is meant to work differently?

Although this guy is not using the IR switch I am looking to install my guess is its not going to be much different in terms of wiring and if anything this thread would seem to suggest that having two IR dimmers on a 2 way circuit is not good.

As is often the way I am becoming more confused as I go along :S

Sponsored Links
You can get normal on/off switches built like a dimmer module....

Switch-onlyModuleForDimmers.jpg

Thanks SecureSpark

I've moved on slightly and have decided to bite the bullet and put another Varilight at 2 gang at the other side of this circuit and dispense with the "normal" 2 gang entirely. (This will mean I have an IR dimmer for a couple of outside lights which seems pointless but under the circumstances its the preferred option).
It seems I need a Varlight slave to go with the master I have already put in. I have a second Varilight master 2 gang at hand but have read a lot about the need for a slave unit. Can anyone tell me what the difference, in terms of wiring, is between a master and a slave unit? It seems that the master unit has three connections to the slave unit and also takes a live and neutral from the light. Surely a slave unit is just the same as a master unit but doesnt have to take these extra two connections? Is it that simple??

Finally I have, behind my second switch, a choccy block containing 4 live brown wires and a separate choccy block containing 4 blue neutrals. Am I right in thinking I need to find which of the 4 blue wires goes to my light? And if so how??!

Just for completeness I did experiment by putting my second Varilight master in, taking the old common and putting it into the Varilight live, the old 1 Way and putting it into the Varilight load and the old 2 way and putting it into the Varilight S. This lead to the bulb lighting dimly. Both switches were able to turn the bulb off but it turned back on itself after a couple of seconds. Holding the switch caused the required brightening but it was in 3 or 4 incremental steps rather than the gentle brightening I have had with these switches in the past. I'm guessing Anyone explain this to me and also what I need to do in terms of the bunch of lives/ neutrals in the socket recess??

Much gratitude!!!

Varilight IR/touch dimmers are a very cost effective way of having remote control lighting in your home....if one of these master dimmers is to be put on a 2 way or intermediate (multi way) circuit they MUST be used in conjunction with a slave unit /units ......slave units will do nothing at all (dim/turn on or off) until until they are wired into the circuit and then they work from the master......... .. Remember that they are touch dimmers so you could just touch your outside lights on and off.

Thanks Johnny. I had come to the conclusion re slave units and you are bang on the money. I have ordered a slave/master 2 gang today (Custom made apparently ;) ) as the outside light will still need a master.

So now then, who's gonna tell me how on earth I found out which wires are what?!? Its gonna be too easy to just take the existing 2 way wiring config on the normal switch and stick it into my slave isnt it? I fear the choccy block full of neutrals and a second one full of lives in the recess of the socket may be called into play...? Any offers as to how?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back