DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

installing an extractor fan within a chimney breast

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
newrenovator

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I am in the process on renovating a house and am planning to install an electric range cooker into the recess of a chimney breast with an extractor fan over it. The chimney in question has been capped, but there is an air vent beneath the cap to allow for air circulation etc. I have had two lots of conflicting advice, one says that I don't need to un-cap the chimney because the air vent should be sufficient and other that due to the amount of steam coming off I do need to have it un-capped. Can anyone give me some advice about which is correct?

Thanks
Newrenovator
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
chessspy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Hi, New,
chimneys rarely carry only one flue.
you need to know which flue you are tapping into, and if it starts from the fireplace you are putting your cooker in.
Fire openings have more regs that anything and you need advice.
 Alert Moderators
^woody^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote

An air brick does not have the same opening area as a typical extract vent, so the extract rate be restricted with the associated issues to the flue and fan motor.

Also, a flue is not really designed for such damp air, so you may want to confirm what, if any flue lining is present and if this will allow large amounts of moisture to be absorbed
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Also check what youíre doing is acceptable; personally Iíve not checked but there have been at least 2 previous posts on the forum which would seem to indicate that tapping into a chimney flue is NOT an acceptable method to meet the air extraction requirements of a kitchen as far as current building regs. are concerned.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: