Weed control fabric down, Now drainage problems. New Pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've had enough with the chippy stones and I'm going to put down some play bark and a small play area.

Just now it's just plastic sheet and red chippy stones.

What I won't to know is should I remove the plastic sheet stuff and replace with weed block or just put weed block on top of the plastic sheet.

Will drainage be ok if there is a hard rain?

Rezarf

Sponsored Links
take up the plastic and put a decent fabric down. it will allow the water to drain away

You will also have to consider removing some depth of soil underneath, too, as your bark will otherwise be sitting too high to prevent it being scuffed onto the concrete. Bark is only of use in a play area when there is plenty of depth. A good 4 - 6" is a good target to aim for.

any recomendations on what type of fabric to put down?

I was going to build a timber boarder around the edge to build the depth up to about 15cm.

rezarf

Sponsored Links
Pretty much any is fine. If you can, get a wide roll so you won't have overlapping joins, which will eventually get loose, even with 6" of bark.

pity you live so far away, i would have taken the red stones off you, they look nice (well to me they do)

my only comment about bark is do be aware it smells very nice when you get it, but it shrinks a hell of a lot,(mine did) and as said do aim for at leat 6 inch depth and be aware as it does shrink it will need "topping up"

:idea: ask your local council do they have any they dont want. I have been told in Northants they leave piles of it for people to take when the tree surgeons have been in, although obvioulsy this is tree chippings, not just bark.

With respect, don't go for fresh chips from tree surgeons as they very soon become covered in nasty fungus and you don't want your little moppets to be rolling in that, I can tell you.

For reference, you don't want it around your plants, either, for much the same reason. Chipped or shredded bark has got past this stage pretty much.

Oh, and the birds just love it in early summer when they make nests, so expect it to be flicked about quite a lot by them as well as by the kids.

With respect, don't go for fresh chips from tree surgeons as they very soon become covered in nasty fungus

:oops: I didnt know that, but then i dont have any chippings from tress surgeons as i dont live in northants

missed the bit about it being a play area. we always do them a minimum of 6 inches deep, so you can either dig it out or put a rail around to retain the stuff. We always use proper play bark to british standards, otherwise its too rough and as wabbitpoo says you get funny little fungus in them.

will be going for good play bark and lots of it as my brother has a small play area and the bark is almost gone now its only been 2 yaers so will go deep.

Going to put a rail up to hold the stuff in.

Just trying to figure out what to put down first either weed block fabric or a strong plastic.

also what is the playbark like when it gets wet does it dry out well, does it smell, will it stain the kids cloths dirty?

rezarf

Don't use plastic - use membrane.

Doesn't smell really - just a wet, woodland-type smell.

So what if it stains the clothes - kids are kids.

for the second time,

take up the plastic and put a decent weed fabric down

well removed all the stones and plastic with some help from a friend.

Anyway I have put down the weed control fabric

Will one layer be enough? As I still have enough left to put a second layer going horizontal would just need to get some more ground pegs.

Just need to get the play bark ordered.

Rezarf

One layer is fine. By how much did you overlap the lengths? Ideally you want about 4-6".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back