New Wall light wont work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have tried to fit a new wall light and i cant get the thing to work. Where am i going wrong?

I have 2 cables coming out the wall. 1 is the switch and 1 for the actual light.

I have used a 4 way connector block. From left to right are numbered 1,2,3 and 4.

1. Connected the 2 red (live) wires into the same end. 1 from each cable.
2. Connected the earth from the cables in one end and the earth from the light to the other side of the connector.
3. Black neutral from the light cable in one end and the blue wire from the light to the other end.
4. Black wire from the switch cable and connected the brown from the light to the other end of this connector block.

Once electricity is back on the lights are on but the switch does not turn them off and does nothing else.

Can anyone tell what the problem can be. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Are you replacing an existing wall light?

How was the old one wired up? Did it work OK?

You say the light is on but the switch doesnt turn it off

FAO BAS and Holmslaw I know you are pros here and I'm new to the game but if the switch doesn't turn the light on/off would this not suggest 1 of the lives from the loop (which should be terminated in the connector block) is connected to the L with the light instead of the switched live ?

I only post this as I had a similar experience with my wall light

Feel free to shoot me down I know you will anyway :cry:

Sponsored Links
thomo27 said:
would this not suggest 1 of the lives from the loop (which should be terminated in the connector block) is connected to the L with the light instead of the switched live ?

I've been trying to puzzle this one out too and I was initially confused by this:

jackpot said:
I have 2 cables coming out the wall. 1 is the switch and 1 for the actual light.

With only two cables available, if one was the switch and the other the light, where is the live supply? :confused: :confused: :confused: The only thing that makes sense is that "1 for the actual light" refers to the supply cable. Jackpot, can you confirm this? I would also be interested to know whether that switch worked before you replaced the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back