Changing a pump - flowson for grundfos...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question: can a flowson pump be replaced with a grundfos 15-15? They look the same size but the manufacturers instructions make the flowson about 2-3mm difference. Will it be OK? I believe that most pumps, Terrier/Flowson/Wilo/Grundfos, etc are stadard sizes for direct replacement, but I want to be sure first...

Sponsored Links
Assuming you mean replace the whole pump ther providing you have normal tolerances in the pipework then you can change it.

Be aware that Flowson is the cheap name for Wilo.

Presumably you want to use the Flowson because its the cheapest pump in B&Q ???

Tony

The heading implies its the other way round! Thanks for pointing that out Alan.

The same answer applies though.

However, one might question the reason for replacing with a pump which is about twice the price when they both do the same job!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I believe, and have heard that Grundfos pumps last a lot longer than other brands and are much better. I think Flowson pumps are £30-35ish and Grundfos £65+ Big difference, maybe a better rotor?

They both pump!

Grunfoss have a ceramic bearing which is very hard. It copes better with dirty water for a little longer. They do fail more often from burnt out windings though.

The Flowson ( Wilo ) have a plastic bearing. They are fine in clean water and work for 10-15 years no problem. They virtually never fail from electrical faults.

However the plastic bearing being softer wears faster in dirty water.

I would fit a Flowson at home but then I only have clean water!

Tony

what electrical faults do Grundfos pumps fail for, more easily than the Flowson? I have and they are supposedly the best pump brand out there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back