Slow Filling Toilet Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Today [18th June 2008] I have had installed by the Landlords general odd job men a new toilet.

The model is a Twyford Bathrooms ET2396

The Problem:
:arrow:
The inside of it is very much different to the old one, it does not fill up from the top but from under the cistern. All well and good but it takes over 25 minutes to fill up. I had the man back again who fitted it he said it was al ok and fobbed me off saying you don't hear it filling but fills up all the same. It does, but takes forever!

I have no idea about plumbing or how things work, if anyone out there does know either how to sort it, or what may be wrong so I have some ammunition against them and not seem the dear old lady who can be told things are ok when they are not be a great help!

If you need more info, pictures of the cisterns internal workings I can arrange this. The previous toilet was fine, the flow [preasure] to the new one remains unchanged so I cannot see it as anything other than the new cistern.

Many thanks
Jill

Sponsored Links
is it mains feed or tank ?
maybe the wrong restrictor fitted to the fill valve or any isolation valves on the main feed pipe not fully open.

Tank fed - replaced old lead pipe with bendy 'rubber/plastic' type that leads to the toilet. I now know it has a a Siamp float valve - The seemingly route cause of the problem lies here.

Although now it is filling, still very slow but not going in the cistern, but out down the pan (and no not through the overflow)

if he has fitted a flexi hose on the feed to the cistern they restrict the flow on tank feed as they have a small diameter internal pipe.

as for the flush valve letting by into the pan its not shutting fully and letting the water pass straight into the pan

Sponsored Links
I hope this works and shows up. I have taken two photos and added labels to show more details than I perhaps can describe in text.

CLICK LINKS TO SEE PHOTOS:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/2589464133_34d7a5a721_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/2589464107_5a85582836_o.jpg

UPDATE:
It now correctly shuts off the flow when the right level is reached and no longer continously fills through to the toilet bowl. However, it takes between 10 and 15 minutes to fill the cistern.

What action should I take? I need to call the guy who fitted this (who claimed all was OK) and be able to try and say waht needs to be done. He is not a plumber by trade, but employed through the landlords to do various jobs be that taps or building work - He stated 'they are set in the factory and you can't change anything once they are installed'

get rid of the silver flexi pipe first, they restrict flow to much on tank feed.
they maybe 15mm outside but only very small bore inside which is restricting the flow.
your float valve in cistern will work better with a faster flow of water to it.

guys.....i think its those valves that have the flow restrictors inside the stem. u'd have to turn the water off take the valve off and check inside it...if i'm right they have a corkscrew type gizmo inside them...remove it if tank fed

bits n pieces no one seems to what to spent.
but not to bothered as have plenty to do at home

same here...

got stuff in the pipeline, but this week and next is all quiet , i've put lots of quotes out but folk havent got back to me....spending it all on petrol probably

trouble is i can't get motivated at doing anything at home either
so i'll be in for a nagging when the mrs comes home

I have used flexy hoses on tank fed bathroom mixer taps before - and they were OK to be fair!!

a tap is abit different to a float valve.
as a tap when open has no restriction a float valve has a diaphagm.

yep i agree. my sisters flat has a flexy pipe to her toilet cistern though and is fine. although must be mains fed as she has an electric shower next to it! :) much better off pulling an offset to align with the float valve thread/tap connector on toilets i believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back