Bathroom Lights Problem, please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I have a problem with my bathroom lights, we have spot/downlights like these in the bathroom ceiling:

d033_1.jpg

They are going from 12V into the mains via a transformer. Around Christmas all the lights didn't come on anymore so we bought a new transformer as we thought the old one was broken, after exchanging the transformer the lights worked for about 1/2 hour and then the new transformer blew as well! We have measured the voltage on the mains and it's about 300V (is that too much?), the cables are all up in the loft (is it too cold for the transformer as it first blew in winter, we haven't tried to fix it since?). Any idea why the transformers keep blowing and what I can do about it? Any help is very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
How did you measure your mains voltage? Was it with a calibrated voltage meter? The max allwable supply voltage in the UK is 253V RMS
Nominal voltage 230V. High voltages will kill the transformer. They do not mind a bit of cold, they will fry if they get too hot.

it could, simply, be a loose connection somewhere.

As lighting in bathrooms is notifiable, why dont you as the electrician who installed them to come and sort it? ;)

Sponsored Links
Incorrect use of a multimeter may record higher values than the RMS (Root Mean Square) value normally quoted as the mains voltage.
Switch mode power supplies may give similar high readings on their output, especially if the output isn't loaded.

Is your replacement transformer the same power rating (wattage) as the original?

Hi guys,

thanks for all your replies, very much appreciated!!!

I'll measure the voltage again at the weekend with a proper volt meter, something is not right there, we only have a cheap one.

Well I don't know who installed the lights as we only moved in the house about 9 months ago and they were already in there. They were woking fine for 4 months. The lights switch (cord one) started to get a bit stuck after a while so sometimes you had to pull it twice to switch the light on/off, could that have something to do with it? Also when we installed the new transformer, the lights came on with about 1-2 seconds delay when you switched them on.

There are 10 lights in the bathroom, I think they are 10W - 12V Halogen Starlight Downlights, I can't remember what it says on the transformer as it's on the loft but I am sure we got the right replacement, we need at least a 100W right ? We didn't have to replace any bulbs as they were all working fine.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back