Patio Heaters - cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GentleFolk

I have just had 2 patio heaters installed (each running 1.4 kw).
They have been wired each to a central weatherproof box (for the remote).

From this box they have been run into the house (2 meters) with 1mm round flex. I metre is tacked to the wall and the other goes into the house

My question: Is this heavy enough? The pre-installed cables on the heaters are alot thicker.

I have a feeling this is on the limit.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am going to put it on a fused RCD protected 4mm cable I think.

I am also dubious about cable outside - any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
What type of patio heaters are they?

What is the circuit protection at source?

What type of 4mm cable are you considering?

Did you receive any certificates for the installation?

V

I am going to put it on a fused RCD protected 4mm cable I think.

For simply running along a wall, 4mm arctic flex would do nicely. Sadly it comes in blue and yellow (blue generally used for 230v) so it isn't going to look too pretty. Other options include Hi-Tuf (available in black), SWA (although this seems like overkill) and possibly even TRS, but it's debatable as to whether or not this is suitable for continued outdoor use.

Even along a wall I'd generally use SWA, bulky but fine done neatly. Problem with non-armoured cables along walls is people grow climbing plants up said wall and cut them back from time to time with shears and the like, and RCD's are never a 100% guarantee.

Or am I just being over-cautious?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, doesn't anyone use MICC (Pyro) anymore?

I used a lot of it for outdoor installations years ago, I like working with it to be honest, can be very neat and tidy if run and clipped correctly.

I wish people would stop recommending ARCTIC flex.

It is designed for extension leads etc that are moved, coiled and used in cold conditions, as it remains flexible in cold condtions, hence 'arctic'. It is not designed for fixed installations, and has no benefits of being installed as such.....

If it was designed for fixed installations, dont you think they would produce it in white and black!

Forget arctic. Stupid suggestion.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but, doesn't anyone use MICC (Pyro) anymore?

I used a lot of it for outdoor installations years ago, I like working with it to be honest, can be very neat and tidy if run and clipped correctly.
MICC is a nice option but it is pricey both in terms of the cable itself and in terms of the labour to install it so it rarely gets used in domestic and low end commercial situations. It is very common in public buildings though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back